Join...

I sat in an empty room, tied to a small, brown chair. I had been taken here blindfolded, and only once I got here had they taken it off.

The room was dimly lit, and I couldn't see most of the place, I squinted hard, but still nothing. I could only see the darkness that reflected my fate.

"Come around, have we?" A deep voice called, and gave a crazed laugh.

Shivers erupted within me, that voice had no bottom, it was as empty as the room I was in. Hollow, no emotions filled the voice, as if it wasn't even human.

My voice failed me, so the man called again, "You will have two choices."

I heard the lights click, and my eyes quivered by the sudden addition of light.

The room was small, and a dark grey. The man stepped out from behind me, and I suppressed a scream.

Standing at about six feet, the giant stood, brandishing a knife. A scar was etched heavily on his face, with his dark hair flowing backwards. He was covered in soot and dirt, as if he almost died to get here. Contradictory to his appearance, he donned a crisp dark suit. Not a speck on the suit, I had noticed immediately.

"One," he continued, "tell me where your mother is," he suggested, and began wiping his spotless knife on his pants.

"Or?" I croaked, getting my voice back.

"Oh!" The man looked surprised, "You speak!" His voice remained cold, as if he were a computer, unable to produce emotion.

"Or, sweet dearie," his eyes bore into me, "you die, and none of this," he snapped his fingers, "ever happened."

A gripping panic broke through me. I knew what was happening. My mother was a... an agent for a large government company that was kept hushed up. Mom liked it for a while, getting the dirt on everyone, but after a while, she saw it as 'immoral and disgusting' to spy on innocent people, or to resort to murder.

Mom quit after this realization, and began speaking. She said that the truth had to be known, and she didn't mind the consequences.

"You do have another option..." the man trailed off, meeting my gaze coldly, "you can join us."

I took in a shaky breath. Join them? Join the very people mom told me to not speak to?

"Other options?" I asked quietly.

The man advanced on me in less than a second, pressing the hilt of the knife against my throat, constricting my flow of air. "Answer, now."

"I'll join," I choked out, "I will."

He stepped back, and admired his knife thoughtfully, "Actually," he said, "you and your mother seem very similar, I think it'd be best to just kill you and let it go."

He arched his arm and threw his knife at me with stunning accuracy, and I felt a warm, sticky liquid immediately coat my neck.

"I'll leave the rest of the government to find a way to hide this one," he snarled, and shut the lights, leaving me to bleed out, all because of my mother.