7. Boy of his Dreams

Start from the beginning

I handed one of the menus to him, “Pick whatever you like” I told him and he nodded turning to face his menu. I scanned the day’s specials, but I didn’t really need to look at the menu, I already memorised most of it. I came here pretty often on weekends and if I woke up early for school. I picked my usual, choc chip pancakes, freshly squeezed orange juice and some scrambled eggs.

The waiter came to the table and I read out my order, when it came to Kentin he just pointed to the items on the menu without a word. I sunk down a bit disappointed, I thought he was going to speak at that moment. 

“I’ll be back Kentin, just going to go to the bathroom” he didn’t acknowledge me so I just got up. 

“Zac!” I turned around and Darren was standing there in his waiter uniform. I gave him a wave, bathroom forgotten I walked over to him.

“Long time no see”  I tried and he raised an eyebrow and I bit my lip averting my eyes. 

“What happened between you two?” he asked concerned. Darren was more than an acquaintance, I knew him pretty well since he worked here. He also went to the uni but only part time. He knew that we were together since we usually came here for a few of our meals.

“I broke up with him and he hasn’t talked to me since we agreed to be friends” I sighed and ran a few fingers through my hair. I don’t know what else I could do, I was truly stuck. I needed a solution and fast before our relationship crumbles into ashes.

“You alright?” he asked, putting a hand on my shoulder, I shook my head and told him everything. I spilled out every detail  and he nodded sympathetically adding in a few words here and there. 

“That’s too bad, you guys were a really good couple but Zac you have to fix this” I nodded and said goodbye to him. I needed to get back to our table.

I walked back to our table and our food had already been served. I sat down in my seat and picked up my fork. Then put it back down again. I looked across at Kentin and he just ignored me, eating his food.

“Look Kentin,” he quickly looked up at the mention of his name, “I thought we agreed to be friends but you’re not even talking to me, what do I have to do to get you to forgive me, I miss you and your voice, I feel so guilty you don’t even know, I didn’t want to break up with you but I had to, I couldn’t just lead you on when I know you’ll be able to find someone better, someone that deserves you, not me” I poured my heart out to him and he frowned.

“I-I’m sorry, I want to be friends, I just needed some time, sorry it’s taken so long” his voice cracked a little from lack of use and my mouth gapped, he was finally talking to me, “You don’t have to do anything, you were doing the right thing but truth is no one is better than you, I don’t want anyone else” he sighed and looked away embarrassed from the confession.

“You’ll find someone else I promise and if not I’ll help you, that’s what friends are for,” I looked at him in the eye and he nodded blushing, “Thanks I guess and it’s fine take as long as you need, just don’t shut me out”

I didn’t know what else to say so I just began eating and he copied my movements. I went to get the bill and paid for us both. I shot a smile at Darren and he saluted me playfully. I rolled my eyes and walked with him back to my car. I started it up and began driving to somewhere fun I thought of. 

He talked a little to me, just a few polite things but it was ten times better than the silence before. I pulled into an empty parking space and got out of the car. It was the go kart course. I looked through the window and I could see and  hear lots of them already driving around.