Chapter 32: There's Nothing You Can Say

"I'm gonna kill that fuckin' nance!!" Richie roared.

"He's the law, Rich. What good is that gonna do, besides get your ass thrown in jail for the rest of your god damn life? Huh?" Eli tried to make make his brother think clearly.

"I'll gladly serve my time to get rid of that son of bitch!" Richie retorted. "He nearly beat aunt Gillian to death and kidnapped our 7 month old niece! And let's not forget the unspeakable shit he did before that. Consequences in this situation don't mean a thing!" Richie spat through gritted teeth, his voice laced with venom.

Aunt Gillian was still unconscious when she was brought to the hospital. She was in bad shape. Pop and Angie stood with her to keep us up to date on how she was doing. The county police had also been called to investigate. They had asked us the same questions, which none of us had answers to. When we told them that she mention Deputy Rakes name they practically ignored us.

"He's gon' get his alright." It was Howard who spoke this time. "I won't rest until my niece is back where she belongs." His glassy blue eyes showing every ounce of animosity towards the deputy. I was so wrapped up in my own thoughts and zoning in and out of the threats that were being spat, that I didn't notice Jack's constant movement. He was back and forth across the diner carrying things and placing them on a nearby table. I refused to look at Forrest out of fear that I would lose whatever grip I had on my sanity, but I could feel his gaze burning holes into me.

Suddenly, Danny was bursting through the front door with a few men from town. "You boys ready?" Was all that he asked to get my brothers and the Bondurants up out their seats and moving. Forrest' massive figure flew right pass me and up the stairs to our room. I knew what they were going to do. I knew that they were going after him and it awoke something in me. As quickly as Forrest was up those steps, so was I. He was seated in his chair loading his shotgun. He stopped instantly when he heard my hasty steps enter the room. I was slightly winded from dashing up the stairs.

"I'm goin' with you." I rushed out. His scowled at me. "I can't stay back waiting to hear any type of news." He loaded the last shell into his gun, cocking it back and leaning the barrel of the shotgun on his right shoulder- He stood slowly from his seat, eyeing me simultaneously.

"You're staying here, Babette." He said calmly. I started shaking my head in defiance, but he spoke up once more. "You're stayin' here, ya understand me?" He took a step closer.

"No, Forrest. No, I'm not staying here. I'm coming with you to get our daughter." I spoke with my new found confidence. He licked his lips and pressed them together tightly. Clearly trying to keep his anger in check.

"I said you ain't comin', Babette!" His voice growing louder when he said my name. I flinched a little but stood my ground.

"Like hell I ain't! That sick fuck has my lil girl! There's nothing you could say to keep me here." I turned to walk out of our room when his rough hand gripped my arm.

"This ain't no social call. We don't know what we walkin' into. We don't know what we gon' find. You are stayin' here, you hear me." I ripped my arm out of his grasp, whipping around to face him.

"What am I suppose to do here!? Sit and worry? Is that what you want me to do? Our lil girl's fate is resting in the hands of a monster!" My tears started to fall. "I can not stay here and do nothing."

"Do ya see what I'm holding in my hand? Did you see what those men were holding when they came in? The son of a bitch caused too much for this to not end in bloodshed." He tried to reason.

"Including yours?" I stared up into his eyes. He said nothing, but he didn't need to say a thing for me to come to my own conclusion. I scoffed and nodded my head. "As if seeing you with your throat slit open wasn't enough for me." I said more to myself than anything.