Chapter 30: Bliss

Bringing my baby girl into this world didn't completely erase my horrific memories, but she sure had many ways of making me forget. For the first two weeks I spent hours just watching her sleep. Watching the small smiles and many expressions that came across her face in her slumber. It was enough to keep my mind occupied. Thinking of what could possibly be in her mind in such a short amount of time in this world.

Months were passing us by. Arilynn went from being a newborn to a six month old baby in what seemed like the blink of an eye. She is loved, spoiled, and protected- that's just speaking on the men in her life. For us women, she was a breath of fresh air. We were in awe of her. Her tiny delicate features stole most our attention as we tried to decipher who she looked more alike. Thick, soft, dark brown hair covered the top of her head. Small pouty lips and same complexion as her poppa. She had inherited full Darmody eyelashes that touched her cheeks when she slept. Her deep set eyes look like molten titanium- bright beautiful gray eyes.

My 21st birthday was quickly approaching. Time sure does pass you by when you're enjoying it. My crazy cousin was already making plans to celebrate. Surprisingly, Richie's animosity towards the Bondurants was diminishing with each and every visit he made to see his niece. He'd end up having a couple drinks with Eli and the Bondurants and a few laughs. It was a good feeling and a sight to see that the men in my life were finally coming together. I was more so surprised when neither of my brothers made a big deal about Angie and Howard's secret romance coming to light- I mean they barely tried to hide it after a while. They still bickered and bantered like children, but it seemed like foreplay for them. Aunt Gillian was just happy her daughter found someone in this county.

Maggie and Eli were more reserved. They weren't open and as obvious as Angie and Howard, but there was no denying what was shared between them. The moments when I would see them alone and away from everyone was when I saw how deep of a connection they had. As for Richie's love life, well, Eli would just say that he had new loves every other day. Not one for settling down, that brother of mine.

My love for Forrest had grown deeper. He was patient with me. He never pushed me to be intimate with him. It's been almost a year since my rape, and Forrest never pressured me to have sex. It took me a while not flinch at his touch. He took his time helping me learn to be held by a man again. He gave me enough space to heal on my own, and was there when I felt I wasn't strong enough. He's been a great father. Although I can always see the hint of worry in his eyes. Whether it was worry of Arilynn's future- of her growing up, or if he was worried about the terror looming knowing that Deputy Rakes was still out there wrecking havoc on Franklin County.

.....:::::::::::::::::::::•:::::::::::::::::::::::......

I awoke to an empty space beside me. Turning to lay on my back, I caught movement coming from my left. The picturesque sight before me brought a smile to my face. Forrest sat on the rocking chair by the window with our daughter in his arms. The early morning sunlight giving them a precious glow. Arilynn sleeping soundly on his chest. I must have been in a deep sleep if I didn't hear her get up.

"When did she get up?" I asked as I sat up, my voice slightly hoarse. Forrest smiled down at his baby girl.

"Couple hours ago." He whispered, deeply. "Didn't wanna wake you." He rose slowly from his seat, careful not to disturb his precious girl. He sat on the the edge of the bed right next to me, looking at me lovingly in the eyes. Which caused a slight blush to my cheeks. Forrest adjusted Arilynn just enough to free one arm. Reaching over to cup my face, he leant in and placed a soft kiss on my lips. Pulling away slightly he said, "Happy Birthday, Babette."

A huge grin spread across my face. "Thank You." I blushed uncontrollably.

Forrest stood once again, walking over to Arilynn's crib and laying her gently inside. He turned his attention back on me. "You should probably start gettin' ready."