Chapter 35: Exorcising The Devil

'I'll be sure to make good on that.' Forrest thought to himself. He backed out of Richie's hospital room and made his way towards the small group of men huddled closely together. They were speaking in hushed tones. "Jack, you stay here and, uh, keep an eye on 'em." Forrest instructed his baby brother. Jack looked as though he wanted to protest but knew better than to open his mouth. Especially under these circumstances.

The other men standing around immediately dispersed except Howard. They didn't need instructions to know what was on the agenda. Both older brothers watched as the youngest made his way back to sit next to Bertha. Forrest knew that he owed his kid brother everything in his being. It was because of him that their family is now able to hold Arrilyn in their arms again.

"So what's the plan here, Forrest?" Howard asked as they headed out the hospital doors. Forrest remained silent- almost as if he was deep in thought- until they were by their truck.

"We make 'em suffer." Forrest grumbled. He opened the passenger door with his good arm and climbed inside. Howard did the same, starting the truck up and following the other car down the road.

I stared at my brother's pale face, wishing this was all just a dream. The man laying here in this hospital bed doesn't even resemble the stubborn, strong willed man I've always known. Questions and realizations start to plague my mind. Why, always seems to be the only question that I've been asking, not only myself but to whoever it is that decides our fate. I've also come to realize that with every moment of happiness in my life there is always tragedy waiting in the shadows to tear my world apart. The tragic moments seem to last longer and seem to get harder and more painful to overcome.

I should be happy and relieved that my daughter is back where she belongs safe in my arms. I glance down at the little girl in my arms. I'm conflicted by what I want to feel, what I should be feeling, and how I'm feeling at this very moment.

A family who suffers from a history of loss and pain, along with a family whose legend keeps them alive. All I can do is hope that my family is integrated enough to reap the benefits of the Bondurant legend.

"Rise and shine, princess." Howard says as he pulls the blindfold from Deputy Rakes eyes. Rakes is tied to a chair in the middle of a dimly lit shack. All the men completely visible to him, all except Forrest, who is standing behind the deputy hidden in the shadows.

"I am an officer of the law!" The deputy shouted. "They'll kill each and every one of you hillbillies if something happens to me." He hissed through gritted teeth. Howard chuckled along with Danny and his men as he took a swig from a mason jar.

"Is that so deputy nance?" Howard asked. His eyebrows raised mockingly at Rakes. "I don't think God himself would care 'bout what happens to a piece of shit like you." He says and takes another swig from the mason jar.

Rakes starts to snicker. "You boys think you're so goddamn tough, dont you? It took the lot of you to come after one man. Pathetic!" He laughs maniacally.

In the shadows Forrest' hands clenches. He would like nothing more than to shut him up for good, but he made a silent promise to his lady at home. He would make this man suffer for the hell he caused upon his extended family. For everyday that Babette woke from a nightmare, for everyday that his baby girl was away from them, for aunt Gillian, for almost killing his brother-in-law, and for Cricket Pate. Deputy Rakes will feel pain and then he will meet his maker.

"I see your coward of a brother sent you to handle his dirty work. Consoling that young girl of his." The tension in the room became thick. The faces of the men standing around harden at the mention of Babette. They knew what he did to her and they have waited for this day to show the vile man how they felt about it. None of them moved, they just listened as he dug his own grave deeper and deeper into hell. "She's a fighter." He grinned evilly.