You Are The Moon

Lance was from a big family. He was used to plans changing every five minutes and having to rearrange his schedule a million times. This proved to be helpful when he asked Shiro why Keith had not shown up to planetarium club during that week's meeting.

"Keith?" Shiro arched an eyebrow at the thin man slouching against the wall. He had been testing out the planetarium controls up until that moment, making sure that they were in good condition for an event they were hosting for the local middle school's annual fair.

Lance nodded, "Yeah, he usually comes with you. I know for sure he doesn't have a class at this time."

"Keith just caught a bad cold," Shiro turned back to the control panel. "He just needs to rest up for the weekend so he can go to his Monday lecture."

"The whole weekend!?" Lance's voice almost cracked.

Shiro chuckled softly under his breath, "I don't know how it works for you, but colds take days to overcome."

Pidge peeked their head from under the control panel. "Were you planning something with him this weekend, lover boy?" Their voice hissed through their smirk, clearly amused by Lance in general. "Unless you plan on getting sick as well, I suggest you cash a rain check. Unless you have a thing for catching other people's germs."

Lance's face twisted into pure disgust. "Pidge, stop that, that's gross."

"Pidge's right," Shiro agreed without looking back at Lance. "You'll get sick too if you get too close to him."

Lance just sighed, leaning his head back into the wall. He stared up at the stars painted overhead which flickered on and off with every button that Shiro tested. Space was an endless void or mystery, but staring up at these fake stars brought calm upon Lance. He closed his eyes for a second, and when he opened them his plans had already changed.

On Valentine's day, he found himself outside of Keith and Shiro's dorm room with a his backpack slung on one shoulder and a box cradled in his arms. Originally, he had planned to meet Keith in the commons, but with Keith's current condition, that idea was properly scraped. Instead, he was standing before the door, staring at the two colorful lion heads with "Shiro" and "Keith" scrawled over them as name tags. Lance stared into the eyes of Keith's lion, a bright red with fierce golden eyes, willing himself to open the door.

He did not have to, for Shiro opened it not even a second after. They stared at each other for a few moments and Shiro cracked a smile. "You better not catch his cold," He nodded at him, stepping out of the room and holding the door for Lance to walk through.

"I have an immune system of steel," Lance bragged, walking past Shiro. "No cold can beat me."

"Whatever you say, Lance," Shiro let go of the door, allowing it to close again.

"Alright," Lance muttered to himself. "I'm already here so there's no turning back..." With that, he made his way to Keith's side room, opening the door to peek inside.

Keith was sitting up on his bed, catching up on the readings for his history course. When Lance walked into the room, Keith turned his head to the side slightly, expecting to see Shiro, but when he noticed who it was his face expressed mild surprise.

"Lance... what-"

"I said there would be cake, didn't I?" Lance pulled a confident smile, holding up the box a little higher. "They only had chocolate with raspberry filling, though."

Keith blinked, "That's... fine..." He sneezed to the side, sniffling a few times as he reached for the almost empty box of tissues, blowing his nose and throwing the used tissue on top of a growing mountain of them on the trash bin across the room.