I Already Miss You

A/N: Hey there! Sorry for the late update, but I'm doing my best! Had 4 hours in a train today and did everything to finish up this chapter to post it before Christmas! I'm not giving up, I promise. There are just a couple of chapters left to this story ;) Hope you enjoy this chapter! :)

--------

"Babe I already miss you
Sweetheart I already miss you
Sweeteyes I already miss you
And you only just walked out the door"

"I Already Miss You – The Kooks"

--------

The last few days Caitlin spent in Ryker Neve were wonderful yet heartbreaking. Wonderful because they got to be together, catching up on lost time. Heartbreaking because separation was right around the corner. Caitlin didn't leave Barry's side that was for sure. The few times they weren't together were to spend some quality time with their family. The rest of the time, they enjoyed calm moments at his place, made short trips to the beach with Lily, went to dinner at Iris's and Eddie's place...

They blissfully savoured each minute with each other, not knowing when the next time would be. They didn't really make plans for the future, they actually didn't talk much about what would happen after she left, considering it made their brains hurt. Barry did promise her he'd come visit and Caitlin was planning on being back in Ryker Neve for her next holidays. But those weren't long time answers to their problem.

Yet they preferred pushing it to the next day, and the day after that, letting the future surprise them.

Until the day she actually had to leave and they couldn't really ignore the problem anymore.

"How is it possible that we always seem to end up at the same place?"

Eyes staring at her flight number and the departure gate indicated right next to it, Caitlin had crinkled eyebrows and was nipping at her lower lip. There was a lump in her throat that made it difficult for her to breathe normally. She had never really loved airports before. Even thought, in her opinion, they were the representation of freedom, of being able to go wherever you wanted. But now, they meant bringing her far away from the people she cared about.

Barry let a humourless laugh escape his lips. "Oh you mean at Ryker Neve's airport with you about to hop on a plane to the big city, leaving little-old-me behind?"

"Pretty much, yes."

Hand in hand, Caitlin and Barry were standing in front of the departure board, half smiles hanging from their lips. Barry sighed and turned to face her, slightly tugging on her hand for her to do the same. Softly, he traced her hairline with the tip of his finger and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

"You know, I'm really starting to hate Central City..." He finally said, eyes staring at hers. "It always seems to be stealing you away from me."

A soft chuckled escaped her lips as she rolled her eyes. And then she turned serious again, squeezing his hand in hers once before answering in an unsure voice. "It's different this time, right?"

"Absolutely." He whispered before cupping her face with his hands. "I'm not done with you yet, Dr Snow."

Brushing her nose against his, she closed her eyes and smiled sweetly. "I'll hold you to that, Mr Allen." She whispered back. After a short moment of silence, she opened her eyes again to stare at his green orbs. "I wish you could come visit during the rest of the summer, though."

Barry nodded before dropping a kiss on her forehead. "I know, I know... but I promised Iris months ago that I would take care of Lily during the summer break as she and Eddie have to work."