Long Live

"I said remember this feeling

I pass the pictures around
Of all the years that we stood there
On the side-lines wishing for right now
We are the Kings and the Queens
You traded your baseball cap for a crown
When they gave us our trophies
And we held them up for our town
And the cynics were outraged
Screaming, "This is absurd!"

Cause for a moment a band of thieves
In ripped up jeans got to rule the world"

"Long Live – Taylor Swift"

--------

[10 Years Ago]

Caitlin picked up her phone as it rang for the third time. "Hello?"

"Hey Cait, sorry for bothering you," Barry's panicked voice replied, "I know you wanted to study but I really need your help right now."

"Barry? What's going on?" Caitlin asked, suddenly very worried for her boyfriend, dropping the pen she had in her hand on her desk.

"What colour is your prom dress?" He inquired very seriously.

"Wh... What?" Caitlin stuttered.

Barry let out a small huff of annoyance. "Your dress. For our prom. What colour is it?"

"Hum... Why?" She frowned.

"Well, because we need to match, silly." He chirped, his anxiety momentarily disappearing. Not for long though as he continued speaking with a strained voice. "I'm at the store right now to pick out a suit and I have no idea what you're going to wear."

"Oh because we're going together, are we now?" Caitlin asked playfully, raising her right eyebrow even though he couldn't see her.

There was a long pause on the other side of the line. "Damn it!" Barry suddenly swore and she could hear him face-palming himself. "I forgot to ask you, didn't I?"

Caitlin giggled and rolled her eyes. "Yup."

"Arrg, I'm so dumb! How could I forget?" He berated himself. "Well I think it's pretty obvious that I want to go with you, since you're my girlfriend and all of that..."

Caitlin's heart swelled, at the sound of him calling her his girlfriend. Sure they had reached their 2 years anniversary, but it still did funny things to her heart. And she wouldn't give anything to make it stop

"But I still wanted to ask you in a special way..." Barry continued. "I guess I just got caught up with high school and the track team and..."

"Barry." Caitlin softly cut him off. "Don't worry. Of course I'll go with you. Now I really need to go back to my chemistry protocol."

"Yeah sure, I'm sorry, I'm such an idiot." Barry mumbled.

"True." Caitlin admitted and heard him groan. "But you're my idiot and I love you."

She heard him sigh in contentment – as if he was relieved to hear her say that – and her heart fluttered again.

"Oh and by the way, my dress is dark blue." She added with a huge grin on her lips.

Barry glanced at the dark blue suit he had picked up before calling her and a matching grin appeared on his lips. "Cool, thanks Cait. I love you too. Good luck with chemistry."

"Thanks. See you later, knucklehead."

--------

"Wow, your high school is awesome!" Cisco gasped as soon as they stepped inside the building.