Chapter Twelve: Normal

I'm not totally sure how I feel about this one... might be taken down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The talk with Laughing Jack, or LJ as he liked to be called, was short and awkward. However, it was successful. While he didn't yet have Toby's complete trust, the rift between them was lessened significantly.

The two of them, currently accompanied by TT, Ben, and Masky. Toby and Ben were talking animatedly about a game they had just played- Toby insisting that Ben had been cheating while Ben was defending that he had played fair and won. TT was acting as a sort of peace keeper, making sure it didn't get too out of hand. Masky was just trying to make some lunch for himself, while LJ pestered him with gory stories of his latest kills.

Suddenly, a white blur raced down the stairs and to the front door. Toby watched curiously, waiting to see what would happen. He heard the front door open and Jeff's voice excitedly said "Smiley!" before a loud thump echoed. Confused and somewhat concerned, Toby walked over with TT and Ben following behind.

He was not prepared for the sight that greeted him.

Excitedly licking Jeff's face was a huge dog with black and white fur and bright white eyes. It's most distinguishing feature, however, was its horrifyingly human-like smile. Toby felt extremely uneasy just looking at it.

Suddenly realizing the presence of other people, the dog abruptly looked up to see the three boys. It fixed Toby with a blank stare before its terrifying grin returned. For a split second, it looked like all of the skin over the dog's head disappeared to reveal the flesh and bone underneath.

"Stop that," Jeff reprimanded, lightly tapping the dog's head. "He's with us," he said before standing up and facing Toby. "Toby, this is Smile Dog. Smile, this is Ragdoll Maker."

Toby shifted awkwardly while looking down at the dog. He didn't encounter animals very often and typically avoided them, so this was a weird experience even without the fact that this very obviously wasn't a regular dog. "Hi Smile..." Toby greeted.

Smile gave a nod of its head and turned its attention back to Jeff. "Aw, who's a good boy?" Jeff cooed, scratching the dog's head. Smile let out a happy bark.

"You should make sure Slendy knows he's back," Ben reminded.

"No need to worry," said Slenderman suddenly, appearing behind them with Masky close behind to be used as his voice. "I am already aware." The tall man bent down and pat the dog on the head. "Remember, Jeff, when he is not outside, he is to remain in your room."

Jeff discreetly rolled his eyes but nodded, patting his thigh as he walked upstairs. Smile let out another bark and followed him.

"I see they're pretty close," Toby commented.

"Yes," Slenderman mused. "Now, if you excuse me, I have some business to attend to. Do not get yourselves into any trouble."

Toby, TT, and Ben gave their goodbyes as the tall man exited the mansion, Masky trailing not far behind. "What do you think he's up to?" questioned Toby as the door shut. "I don't know. Creepypasta things," Ben shrugged noncommittally.

"I w-wish I had a p-pet," TT hummed.

"Pets are for normal people," Ben replied, walking back to the living room. "We're not normal people."

Toby thought about this for a moment. He remembered what it was like, when he was considered "normal". When did he stop being "normal"? Was it when his father hurt him, or was it before? Was he ever truly "normal"? He was mostly isolated for most of his life, he realized, and spent probably too much time alone making toys instead of talking to people as he did now in the mansion. He felt a bit envious all of a sudden, of the people in the world who led "normal" lives. They probably didn't have to sneak around all of the time, and they probably could make friends without people screaming in fear. They could just... talk.

"I'll be right back," Toby announced hollowly, stalking up to his room. He slammed the door shut and stared at his friends with a blank expression. He picked two of them up and sat them on the foot of his bed before sitting beside them. "I can be normal, too. I can talk to my friends! See, I'm doing it right now!"

Silence.

"Aw, come on, don't be like that. You can talk to me. We're friends, aren't we?"

Silence.

"How come you guys can't talk, but Mary can? I think it would be nicer if you guys could talk. Maybe Mary would be nicer if she could talk to you guys, too."

Silence.

Toby turned away from his friends, pulling his knees up to his chest. It wasn't the same. They didn't talk to him like TT and Ben and the others did. Maybe those were his true friends... but if that was the case...

"What about you guys?" He whispered, looking up at his shelf. He wasn't sure anymore if he was looking at his friends, or at lifeless dolls. "Am I... a killer? Like Laughing Jack?"

As expected, there was no response. Toby expected to feel devastated at this turn of events. He expected to feel guilty for killing all of those children. He expected to feel incredulous that he was delusional enough to call these dolls his "friends".

But... he didn't.

Why?

"Pets are for normal people," Toby chuckled humorlessly, letting his legs drop back down to the floor. "Real friends are for normal people. I'm not normal. So that means..."

He beamed widely at his shelf of dolls... of his friends.

"...You guys are my friends!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[A/N] Toby's still insane. But now he knows. ;P

Yeah... still don't know how I feel about this. I feel like it was written poorly... I'll just have to wait and see what I decide about this.

Vote! Comment! Please?

~CakeEater4