Mary, Part One

Mary was a little girl who lived in a small house with her mother. She had cute, short blonde hair and glimmering bright blue eyes, perfect fair skin, and a dazzling smile. Her mother was just as beautiful with long blonde hair that reached down to her waist and ocean blue eyes. Mary was well known for being one of the sweetest and nicest little girls in the neighborhood. Her mother was well known for being the kindest woman in town. Everyone loved the two, adored them. Mary had many friends, but none of them were too close.

Behind closed doors, however, Mary's sweet smile became a frightened frown. Her mother would miraculously transform from a kind lady to a terrible and mean woman. She constantly screamed at her daughter, telling her that she was the reason daddy left. The woman would then drink her whiskey while Mary escaped to her room. Sometimes, she would end up fine. Other times, when her mother was particularly bitter, she would have to endure further verbal abuse.

Outside of the house, Mary was forced to remain quiet about her home situation and put up a façade. No one seemed to notice that her smiles were mostly forced. However, Mary took some small comfort in her mother's strange obsession to appear to others as a "perfect family", as her mother would never hit her in fear of leaving a noticeable bruise that would raise questions. At least Mary didn't have to be afraid of that.

One night, after her mother had fallen asleep after an alcohol-fueled rage, Mary looked out the window of her room. She stared up at the star filled night sky. "If... if anyone's listening..." she whispered meekly. "I wish for a friend... a real one. One who cares... One who knows..."

She looked out the window for a bit longer before sighing and going to bed. It was late, and her mother would be angry if she woke up late again.

The next night, Mary climbed into bed to go to sleep when she heard a strange sound at her window. She looked up and gasped in surprise as she watched a boy climb in. He looked a little older than her, with messy brown hair. She stared at his button eye and the various stiches over his skin. He smiled at her and put a finger over his lips as a signal to keep quiet.

"Who are you?" Mary whispered. The boy came closer, causing Mary to whimper and hide beneath her covers. "Hey, shh, don't be afraid..." he whispered soothingly. "I'm not here to hurt you. I'm here to be your friend."

Mary peeked up at him, lowering the blankets slightly. "Really?" she asked, a hopeful glint shining in her eyes. The boy nodded gleefully. "Yes! And to prove it to you, here's a gift!" he smiled as he handed her a doll. It had bright blue button eyes and short blonde hair made of yarn. It wore a soft yellow dress that looked remarkably like the one she had been wearing the other day. "It looks like me..." Mary murmured, holding the doll gently. The boy nodded once more, seemingly pleased with himself.

"What's your name?" Mary questioned, looking at him. "I'm the Ragdoll Maker!" he grinned. Mary shook her head. "No, that's a made-up name. What's your real name?" she pushed. The boy blinked with his one good eye, looking down. "Toby. Toby O'Connor."

"Hi Toby," Mary nodded. "I'm Mary. I'm excited to be friends with you!" Toby looked back up with a small smile. "So am I! We're gonna be best friends!"

The two talked and played for a while before Toby insisted that it was time for him to go, promising to return the next night. Mary woke up in the morning feeling happy and refreshed. She hummed to herself, beaming as she walked downstairs. Her mother sat in the couch, watching the news on TV. Mary poured herself a bowl of cereal and watched the screen out of bored curiosity.

"Police are still trying to locate Toby O'Connor, who is believed to have been killed by his father. Edgar O'Connor denies these claims but had pledged guilty to harming him and cutting him, leading to the gory scene in his home," A reporter stated with a grim expression on her tanned face. "There are no leads as of yet on the whereabouts of Toby or his body, if he is truly dead."