eighteen

It's been a while.

The Joker maintained a sinister smile, skipping through the halls of Arkham Asylum and putting a bullet in every head his eyes landed on. Maybe two bullets. Or more.

A guard tried his best to scurry behind an office desk without being seen.

"Tsk tsk tsk!" The Joker turned on his heel slowly, aware of the noise the guard was making, and the sight made him burst out in laughter, causing the young man to jump in fear. Picking up a pistol from one of his lifeless comrades, the guard wasted all the bullets in it from shaking too much.

What a shame, all these young men. The Asylum was stocked with them, strong and experienced soldiers ready for battle. Just not ready for madness.

"Come on over! I need'ta ask you somethin'," The Joker stepped over several bodies as the guard shuffled further away from him.

"I'm not gonna hurt ya!"

Cries came from the man on the floor as he desperately crawled away, crippled by a stray bullet.

"No, seriously, I won't," He held back a chuckle and shot the guard on his good leg, replacing the cries with screams.

"Come on!" The Joker's laugh echoed through the halls.

"Take a joke."

♦ ♢ ♦

Where is he

He left me

Harleen brisked past the bodies on the floor, following the trails of cries and screams coming from her workmates. The tiles were stained red, only a couple clear spots here and there, and it was unnerving even for her. Just a 'lil bit.

"Puddin!" She called out, only to be answered by a deathly silence.

"Mr. J, you left me at that corridor!"

Her lip curled the moment she heard a menacing laugh coming from one of the halls. And she ran. She ran, not caring if her heels were painted with guts.

"Puddin!"

A sharp turn to the right, and there he was, a phone wedged in between his ear and his shoulder as he held up his machine gun tightly.

"Yeah, pepperoni. No anchovies please. And throw in some pineapples, why not?"

"Puddin," Harleen was getting ticked with him.

When he didn't get off the phone, she called for him louder.

"MR. J"

"Alrighty, bye bye. Do tell me if my friends didn't blind-fold you," he dropped the phone and it smashed on the ground, too late to bounce back up.

"Ahh, my sweets!"

"Heh, been lookin' everywhere for you," Harleen tried not to make it obvious that she was exasperated.

"Oh, don't worry, hun," The Joker tapped her nose.

"Just called over some friends. Didn't want to have the party all to myself, now. I'll be long gone in no time."

"Wait- what?"

"Huh? OH! Did you think we were leaving together?"

Harleen couldn't process anything. Her heart was pounding with a passion as deep as love. She was about to burst with anger and sadness and everything in between.

She just didn't understand. One moment, it felt like they were the only two people in the world. She refused to accept this.. this whole trick. It's just a trick! That's what he does- he's The Joker damnit.

"What do you- I mean.. you're being funny, puddin'- we are going together," She held his arm.

The Joker frowned and turned to walk away from her.

"Sorry, sweets. We don't have room for one more," he chuckled, picking up a grenade from the floor. Before he was able to pull the pin, Harleen threw herself at him and held back his hand.

"Don't leave me," she stared through his eyes, her own beginning to glaze with tears. It was almost as if he agreed. But he made it seem like her eyes were just lying, this whole time, trying to manipulate him to fall in love with her because he didn't. He couldn't.

But he almost did.

"Don't make this harder for the both of us, Harls." The Joker drew his hand away and with his teeth, pulled the pin.

"NO!" Harleen didn't think twice and tried to push him down, but he beat her to it and saved her from the blow. A large van drove into the now non-existent wall, a bright violet sports car right behind it, and the back opened up to release at least twenty of The Joker's men to finish off the Asylum. Each wore a mask, something that would ruin your childhood for an eternity.

The Joker had an army. They all knew what he wanted, when he wanted it, because they were afraid. And The Joker knows how fear works. He knows how to use it well and play with it.

Two men brought out a leather jacket of deep purple, a color that complimented his strands and Harleen didn't think he could look any more like a masterpiece.

"Harley, you better fucking stay away from me if you wanna live longer than any of these guys," keeping his eyes on her, he shot down one of his men in the head as he got onto the sports car.

Harleen tried to pick herself up from the ground but was surprised by a shot right next to her.

"HEY!" The Joker pointed up his gun to bring down the goon who tried to take her life.

"See the pretty girl on the floor- yeah, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM HER," a short silence echoed throughout the whole hall before he slammed the door of the car.

Harleen pushed herself and ran after them as he drove away, tires screeching on the old asphalt of outside the Asylum walls. She ran until she couldn't breath, but the tears finally dropped when her legs couldn't bare it and she crounched down on the ground.

Leaning on her own arms and knees, Harleen turned her head to see a black sedan.

Don't think I'll let you go just yet.