eight

"KILL ME! RIGHT HERE, RIGHT NOW!"

Guards and doctors scrambled to stop the Joker from further hurting himself. This wasn't the first time. He'd suddenly go mad and they'd always find him bleeding somewhere. The doctors began to assume that he only did it for fun and to keep himself entertained every now and then. It happened pretty often that they made a protocol for it.

His head was already starting to bleed from banging his head against the glass. Not even the straitjacket stopped him. As they dragged him out of his cell, he continued to scrawl around. His laughs echoed through the room and even outside the hall, where other guards stiffened at the sound.

"HEY!" The Joker grabbed onto Jason's uniform and pulled him down until they were face to face. Jason held his breath.

"Why don't you just kill me? Why are you still keeping me here-A BURDEN-when you can just get it over with and KILL ME?"

Jason pulled away and pulled out his gun.

The Joker's giggles quickly erupted into deafening laughter as the other guards pointed their guns at Jason. The young officer was the most fearful of the team, but the more he kept his gaze locked on the Joker, he started growing angrier rather than terrified. He was done with him. All those years of emotional bullying. Everything he did to him. It wouldn't hurt anyone to take his life. And he insisted, so why not?

The Joker was a fucking monster. Jason was always on the sidelines, unnoticed. And no one even heard that The Joker murdered his mother. The bastard did it before his own eyes, and he didn't even take their money. He should've. Otherwise, it meant that his mother died for nothing. Just for The Joker's entertainment.

The trigger was testing him, and at the moment, Jason didn't care if he'd pass or fail.

"Sir, if you pull that trigger-"

"WHAT IF I DO?"

His voiced boomed and the guards stiffened, but The Joker pressed his forehead onto the muzzle of the gun, his eyes just daring for him to do it.

"Why haven't we killed him yet?! There's no fucking reason why he should live!"

One of the doctors, a tall brunette, stepped forward. "We're trying to fix him!"

"HE CAN'T BE FIXED,"

"Mmm, you got me figured out, Charlie," The Joker giggled. Jason shot a glare towards him before speaking again.

"And even if you did, what makes you say he was even a good person when he was sane?!"

"Tsk tsk, that's where you're wrong, hon," The Joker frowned.

"I was never sane."

Jason was gonna do it. He was going to be crowned the courageous hero who got rid of the Joker. People would finally respect him. His mother would be proud of him.

"Your last words?" He growled, and a sly smile plastered onto the Joker's face. Jason expected a joke or a clever statement, but what he said didn't make any sense to him. He said it with a wide grin.

"Harley Quinn, I fucking love you."

Jason gripped his gun tight.

BANG

It didn't come from his gun. The brunette doctor stood with one in her hand, and it wasn't pointed at The Joker either. And after realization hit him, he fell to the ground and lay on his side, watching his own blood stain the floor. The guards and other doctors scrambled to get him help, not even keeping hold on The Joker anymore.