twelve

A/N: I've decided to add more to Jason's character. I have a feeling he can contribute to the plot later on and OMG 10K READS I LOVE YOU GUYS THANK YOU SO MUCH :)

♦ ♢ ♦

The silence was driving her mad.

Harleen had taken off her coat and was now at the corner of the room, hugging her knees. Her eyes were closed, but she needed noise, something to distract her from her discomfort. Something was making her anxious and she didn't know what. I'm not claustrophobic, she thought. I live alone, I'm supposed to be used to silence. But she was. The silence didn't bother her at all.

It was her own voice.

It was the voice in her head that told her she was in danger. The voice that screamed at her for being too involved with The Joker. The Joker. The voice that was tearing her apart. Or tearing itself out of her.

How long have I been in here?

The thought finally entered her mind and Harleen stood up. Overnight stay. She approached the door and tried prying at the edges and gaps, but there were at least 5 different locks on the door. It was starting to feel like she was in there for too long already.

BANG

Harleen slammed a fist on the door before wincing in pain. She tried again a couple of times. "HEY! How long have I been in here??"

It was no surprise that she wasn't answered. The ticking of the clock just outside made her itch even worse.

"What time is it??"

They're watching. The doctor turned and looked around the whole room, searching for any cracks or hidden lenses in the walls. Somewhere. But there were no cameras found. Harleen returned to her corner, breathing unevenly as sweat began to form on her hairline and neck, despite the powerful airconditioning.

What if they never let me out?

What if I'll never see him again?

What if I die in here?

Her stomach growled, interrupting her chaotic thoughts. Would they even feed me? The voices came back, telling her that she'd be gone soon. She wanted to cry. It was too quiet for her to run away from her thoughts, and the voices didn't stop.

You went too far.

You shouldn't have pulled the trigger.

It's too late now.

No one can hear you.

You'll never see him again

"LET ME OUT OF HERE"

She found herself banging on the door. The walls. She continued to shout until her lungs bursted.

"FUCK YOU, SHARP" her voice began to crack and she just wanted to get out. Her hair was beginning to drench in sweat. And tears. Silencing in defeat, the doctor lay on the bed, shutting her eyes and trying her best to just fall asleep.

She couldn't imagine how such a confined space could possibly help anyone get any better.

♦ ♢ ♦

She's late this time.

That was enough for The Joker to suspect that there was something wrong. Harleen never made him wait longer than five minutes. He kept track. The thought of her getting terminated entered his mind, but he straightened up when he heard the light sound of heels clicking on the tiles. They grew louder and louder each step. She's close. But when the doors finally swung open in a rude manner, he slid back down into his seat, sending a deathly stare.