four

A/N: Sorry for uploading a bit later nowadays. Requirements at school have been piling up. Include me in your prayers :'). Thanks for reading! :)

♦ ♢ ♦

The Joker lay on his bed in his cell, staring at the ceiling. A wide grin was plastered on his face as he thought about his meeting with the doctor. He missed her. The doctor was boring all right, but he felt that he could bring something out of her. He felt her monster just dying to be set free.

Harleen Quinzel.

Her name was on repeat in his head.

That was when he frowned, realizing his own thoughts. He became angry with himself, with how he managed to slip. He was feeling something. So, he turned it around. The Joker's smile returned when he made a decision that would get him out of the Asylum.

He was going to make Harleen Quinzel fall for him.

Even the Joker didn't expect anyone to feel any sort of positive emotion towards him, but he saw it in her eyes. It was so clear.

He just didn't know that Harleen saw a hint of the same thing in his.

The Joker satisfied himself, turning his feelings into something twisted and quite beneficial on his part. But at the moment, he chose to brush it away and proceed with his daydreams, all of which included the doctor.

The guards began to worry about how he was deathly silent that night.

  ♦ ♢ ♦  

Harleen couldn't sleep, so she went out to buy some stuff at a convenience store.

She didn't expect the day to affect her that much. It wasn't even a whole day, but roughly three hours in the Asylum. There was nothing else she did after except think. Not just about The Joker. Pretty much her whole existence. Harleen wasn't rich. She didn't have any friends, and her job wasn't even her first choice. She admitted to herself that her life was quite a bore.

The light from the store was blinding, and it was quite cold inside. She pulled her hands deeper into the sleeves of her hoodie to keep warm.

The store was empty, except for the cashier and a man. He was smoking, and Harleen was irritated. She gave him dirty looks as she strolled through the aisles, though trying her best not to get caught. He was intimidating.

Harleen picked up some chips, tissue paper, and tampons and headed straight to the cashier. When she eyed the man once again, he was already staring at her with dark eyes. She looked away quickly and almost threw the money at the cashier. She wanted to get out of there.

The moment she stepped out of the store, she saw him move at the corner of her eye. He started following her.

The roads were clear, and only the streetlights were there to guide the way. Harleen never felt so scared, hearing his footsteps speeding up. She wanted to go home and lock her doors and windows. It was so strange to her, how humans are afraid of humans.

Harleen remembered how she would have to pass through a dark alley to get back to her apartment, and it was the trap. She didn't know what to do next, but she kept walking. Hoping the man wouldn't see, Harleen pulled out her phone to call the police as she was reaching the alley.

9, she dialed, entering the darkness. 1, she was about to run. 1-

He grabbed her by the shoulders and pinned her to the brick wall, making her drop her things with such force. It hurt her bad, and her eyes widened in shock.

"Give me your money, punk," the man demanded, holding up a large steel pipe.

Harleen was shivering in fear, but she didn't want him to run away with her money without a fight. She kneed him in the crotch and his gripped loosened, allowing her to duck and avoid the blow of his pipe. Some of the bricks cracked, and Harleen just imagined if she had remained in that place for just a few seconds more.

The man was still recovering from his injury, but he charged at her once again, grasping his pipe even tighter. Harleen did a handspring backwards, dodging his attack. He continued to swing his pipe at her with much intensity, until she was cornered. Harleen backed up against the walls and worried for her life, then faced a strong whack on the cheek. She felt blood.

After dodging another blow, she kicked him on the chest with all the force she had and held onto his shoulders to swing over him. Once she was behind the man, she grabbed his arm and twisted it, making him drop his pipe. Harleen thought she could handle him, until he pulled out a knife with his other hand. This was it. She was going to die.

Then a dark figure fell onto him.

Harleen fell backwards and landed on her hands, staining the ends of her sleeves in a puddle. She turned to face the creature that delayed her death as the man began to scream. It was darker than night itself, its cape swooshing through the cool air.

The Batman.

The man pushed on and fought the dark knight, kicking and punching with all his strength. Just watching the battle, Harleen couldn't bring herself to move. Until she remembered something.

The Batman fought so effortlessly, like it was a dance. He punched the man down until he curled on the ground in pain. But he underestimated him. The man pulled out his knife and-

BANG

Everyone froze in shock. The Batman watched him fall backwards and hit the ground with wide eyes, then turned to face Harleen. She had her arm up, and the dark knight's forbidden weapon was in her hand. Ever since she received it, Harleen took the advice to keep it with her at all times. She felt so incredibly stupid to have forgotten about it in such fear.

Harleen kept her eyes on the man for a couple more seconds before turning to the Batman. She expected him to give her an affirmative nod, but his eyes were dark, and he looked at her with much disgrace.

Harleen thought about what she did, slowly lowering her weapon. What else could I do?, she thought. I just saved your life.

But she didn't actually. A regular knife was no match for The Batman's indestructible suit. She merely made things faster for him.

She watched as the dark knight picked up the man. He pointed a grapple gun upwards and they disappeared in a zip. Harleen continued to stare into the night sky in shock.

Definitely the least boring day of her life.