nine

A/N: Hope you guys are cool with the cover change. I also added a playlist. The songs aren't in order with the chapters. They're just a couple that I thought would fit the theme :)
Update: I FORGOT, some of the dialogue is from the Arkham Asylum videogame. Just clearing it up.

♦ ♢ ♦

Harleen couldn't bring herself to talk.

It was only their third official session, fourth if you counted her little visit, and she figured she'd be used to him by then. But she couldn't look at him longer than a second. She was scared, nervous and way too many things at the moment.

"You're wasting our time, sweets," he said loudly, startling her.

"I have to be back in my cell for my morning tea with the new guard in an hour. Wouldn't wanna miss that."

"Right." Her voice came out shaky, not what she intended. Again, the room stayed silent for a moment before she remembered something.

"You never answered my question," Harleen said, and The Joker raised a brow.

"Why do you do what you do?"

The room went silent for a moment, but she waited for him to speak.

"He's crazy, you know."

"Who? The Batman?"

"No, Santa Claus- of course Batman! Always Batman. I've seen it in his eyes. Screaming mad starkers. And dishonest! Hiding his face behind a fright mask. Well, no masks for me. I have nothing to hide! I laugh at the cruel absurdity of the world. But Batman... BATMAN, he's got them all fooled! He's made them think he can make a difference. That he can actually make things better. And the joke of it is, they all believe it."

"The police?"

"The police, the media, the fuckin' junior rangers- every last sack of walking meat in this urban cesspool! Listen, sweets. Batman knows we're all on the same funhouse slide into madness, why won't he admit it? He's up there in his belfry laughing at us. And the real gag is, the miserable liar is allowed to run free while I'm in here."

The way he spoke the last sentence, it was like he was begging for help. From her.

"That's quite... incisive," she replied. He quickly leaned in too close to her, allowing her to feel his breath.

"Then you understand don't you?" His eyes brightened.

"You know why I do what I have to do. You know Gotham's only real savior... is me."

♦ ♢ ♦

"I do apologize,"

Harleen looked at him with an eyebrow raised. He smiled widely at her.

"My behavior has been quite rough around the edges lately."

She looked down into her lap once again, realizing what he meant. When she pointed the gun at his head. When she visited him. Right when they were in the middle of deeply conversing, he'd snap. No explanation. Then again, what's the use of an explanation coming from a psychopath?

"No, no. It's...expected."

The Joker giggled at her response, moving forward from his chair. But it was expected from a maniac. Harleen slid a hand into her coat pocket, grabbing hold of the device. Just in case. Silence filled the room once again before he spoke.

"Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"No, actually."

"Well, sweets," He leaned in closer, and like a magnet, she did too. His whisper was music to her ears.

"You fucking are."

Harleen felt herself starting to sweat. She almost slapped her own cheek, catching herself glancing down at his lips once or twice.

Thrice.

She couldn't help but notice he did the same.

"Thank you." She lay a gentle hand on his head, feeling the bandage from when he hurt himself. He closed his eyes for a bit, breathing in deeply and enjoying her warmth.

A wide grin plastered onto his face as she stared into his deep blue eyes. That was her weakness, you could say. Eyes were the most beautiful things, how you can look into them and forget about a person's imperfections. You just had to find the pair that you could never get tired of.

Harleen found hers.

♦ ♢ ♦

A crowd of guards blocked the view of one small screen.

It displayed Doctor Quinzel's chat room with The Joker, and it seemed to be the trending television show on their channel.

"You fucking are"

One of the guards scoffed.

"This is ridiculous!" She exclaimed. Another held her shoulder, chuckling.

"Don't be so jealous, Cara-"

"EVERYBODY SHUT UP!" The officer in charge stood from his seat, shushing everyone else. "The audio's pretty bad."

So they focused on the screen, enjoying the chemistry between the two.

♦ ♢ ♦

"Remember when I told you I met someone special?" The Joker whispered, his raspy voice sending shivers down her spine. This was the closest she had ever been to him. She didn't even notice that she began to hover over her chair to move even closer.

"Yeah, I remember," she whispered back, leaning across the table. She was sure their whispers could not be heard by anyone, but she continued to hold onto her device.

"Someone who changed you."

"Someone who ruined me deliciously."

They were inches apart.

"You know what, Mr. J? Sometimes, you talk too much."

The Joker giggled, causing her to smile widely. She eyed his ruby red lips before trailing back to his eyes.

"Well why don't you just put your lips on mine and shut me up?"

And with the click of her remote, the red light was on.

Their lips crashed.