20. Another 7 days

This chapter is dedicated to  for adding this story to their reading list. Thank you!  

I finally quietened down and Kyle carried me to my hotel room in silence. Unfortunately, my mum was still in there and naturally she made a fuss.

"Good morning," Kyle said to her with a smile.

"What happened to my poor baby?" she asked alarmed as Kyle set me down gently on the bed.

"I was running and I fell and sprained my ankle," I replied.

"I'll get you some ice," Kyle said and he left the room. Mum watched him leave then came to sit by me with a sly smile on her face.

"Who's the handsome young man?" she asked.

"He's too young for your mum and I really shouldn't have to remind you of this but aren't you married," I deflected.

"Age is nothing but a number," she winked.

"Gross mum."

"On a serious note, who is he?"

"Detective Kyle Granger," I replied just as Kyle walked back in with a bucket of ice. Mum stared wide eyed at me but didn't say a word. She disappeared into the bathroom and came back with a towel then wrapped some ice blocks in it and handed it to Kyle.

"Would you mind keeping ice on her ankle till I get back? I need to go and make a couple of phone calls," she said. I stared daggers at her trying to communicate telepathically that she should not leave me alone with Kyle but she ignored my death glare and left. Kyle sat awkwardly on the bed and hesitated with the make-shift ice pack in his hand.

"Is it okay if I..."

I nodded and he pressed the towel to my ankle. I winced from the pain and his eyes came up to mine, an apologetic look in them. He finally tore his eyes away from mine and looked around the room.

"Nice place you've got here," he said.

"I'm surprised you think so. I thought you were only into slut-pads," I teased him. He laughed and all the lies and deceit fell away and he was just Kyle again.

"I was," he said nodding, "till I met a girl who changed me."

My heart wasn't ready for this. If he kept up the charming charade I would forget why I was even angry with him. I didn't really want to be angry anymore but I was tired of fighting him off and I just wanted peace. Since mum had not so subtly given us a moment of privacy, now was as good a time as any to have a serious talk with Kyle.

"I don't know if I can forgive you but I would like to try," I told him.

He looked up from my ankle, surprised. "Really?"

"Yeah. In spite of everything, you're a good guy and I understand you were doing your job. I just hated that you let me fall for you under false pretences."

He perked up and his face cracked into a wide grin. I stared at him wondering if he had gone mental. I was sure I hadn't said anything remotely smile-worthy there.

"Why are you smiling like that?" I asked him.

"You said you fell for me," he replied, still with that big smile.

Ohhh.

I didn't deny it this time. "It's true, I did fall for you. Not that I had a choice, you were pretty persistent."

"You're worth the chase," he said.

"It still doesn't change how you lied to me and believe me, I want to get over that but I have a really hard time trusting people and we can't start anything without trust."

His face fell. "So what are you saying?"

I sighed. "I don't know. I'm confused. You confuse me."

His eyes lit up again and I knew that look. He was about to suggest something and I probably wasn't going to like it.

"How about..." he began.

"Don't say it," I cut in, covering my eyes.

He ignored me and continued. "How about we make a deal?"

"Nooooooo," I groaned exaggeratedly. He pulled my hands away from my face forcing me to look at him.

"Just give me 7 days to earn your trust back," he pleaded. "I promise I won't ruin it this time."

"Another 7 days? I don't know if I can Kyle," I said sceptically.

"Okay. I understand your reservations. How about you think about it and let me know what you decide?" Kyle said.

"Well I never. Kyle actually giving me the option to think something through? Maybe there's hope for you yet," I laughed.

"I'm serious. Think about it and if you have rules, tell me and I will stick to them to the letter," Kyle said.

"Okay then. I'll think about it."