Surprise

~ 20 years later ~

"C'mon babe or we're gonna be late." I yell upstairs to my girlfriend. I checked my watch and we were definitely running behind. "Visiting hours or gonna be over by the time you get done."

"Alright. Alright. Alright." my girlfriend responds coming down the stairs. "I was making last minute touches to my hair and makeup."

"You look beautiful as always babe. Let's go."

Today I was visiting my mom. She's currently serving time for attempting to kill my father. Then afterwards me and my girlfriend were going to head to my dad's family reunion. This would be the first time for her meeting both my parents.

"I'm nervous about meeting you parents." my girlfriend, Taegan says. "What if they don't like me?"

"Why wouldn't they like you?" I ask while laughing.

"I don't know. I know how parents can be especially mothers."

"My mom is gonna love you. " I reassure her. "Just be yourself and act natural."

Me and Taegan have been together for about three years now and she's been nothing but good to me. We both attend the same college and shared a few classes together and that's how we met. We use to always get partnered up and from there we became really close. I've always liked her but she had a boyfriend at the time and I respected that. Then one day her and 'ol dude broke up and I took that as a chance to make her mine. We've been together ever since.

About 45 minutes later we pull up to the prison and suddenly I'm nervous. I visit my mom every weekend so I don't know why I'm nervous this time.

"You ready?" Tae asks me. "You look a little worried.

"Nah, I'm cool" I try to play it off.

We enter into the prison and after being patted down and signing in an officer leads me and Taegan to the visitation room where my mom and other prisoners were waiting for guest to arrive.

"Tarian, I thought you wasn't gonna make it." my mom says embracing me with a warm hug. "Visitation's almost over."

"Sorry I'm late ma, I have someone I want you to meet."

"Ma, Taegan. Taegan, ma"

"Hello young lady, it's nice to meet you." my mom says extending her hand out to Tae.

"The pleasure is all mine. Rian talks about you a lot."

"She calls you Rian." my mom says. "Interesting."

"Yeah. How are you mom?" I ask.

"I'm good son. Just trying to make it the best way I know how." I hated seeing my mom like this. She looked so stressed and tired but I knew she would never let me know that. My mom had way too much pride.

"I'm visiting dad today." I say.

"For what?" mom replies. By the look on her face she looked disgusted. My mom hated the fact that me and my dad have a relationship. To this day I don't really know exactly what happened between my parents but I just know that I want both in my life. Equally I loved both the same even with my mom being locked up. Growing up she would call my grandma a lot so she could talk to me and read to me before I went to bed at night. Even with her being locked up my mom was a mom.

"His side of the family is having a family reunion and I'm gonna introduce him to Tae."

"Hunny, I don't mean to be rude and stare but you awfully familiar." my mom says looking directly at Tae.

"Alright! Visitation hours are over." an officer says. "Say goodbye to your loved ones."

"Call me when you can mom." I say before giving my mom a hug. "It was nice meeting you." Tae adds in.

"I hope to see you again Ms. Taegan" my mom says giving her hug. "And son, you tell your father I said go to hell."

Time for this family reunion.

~ an hour later ~

We pull up to the address my dad texted me and there's cars everywhere. The family reunion was being held at the park a few blocks from my crib so I couldn't wait to link up with some of my cousins and just have a good time.

"Aye, T" I hear someone yell out. I turn around and it's my cousin Nick.

"Was good bruh?" I said dapping up Nick.

"What's going on, kinfolk? How you been?"

"Shit, chillin' chillin'" I respond. "This right here is my lady, Taegan."

"Nice to meet you." Taegan says.

"Welcome to the family." Nick responds.

"Have you seen my punk ass dad?" I ask trying to scan around the area. "Yeah, he's right over there" Nicks says and points to my dad.

Hand in hand me and Taegan walk over to where my dad is. "What's up old man?" I yell out. My dad immediately recognizes my voice and gets up to walk over to us.

"Hey babe will you go grab us a drink real quick while I talk to my dad?" I ask Tae. "I thought you were gonna introduce me to him?" Tae responds. "I am babe, I just wanna talk to him in private. It won't take long I promise."

"I'm glad you make it son." my dad says giving me hug.

"Thanks for inviting me." I respond. "So how's it been dad? I haven't seen you in a minute."

"I'm good son. Just been busy tryna lay low, ya know? PO's tryna make sure I don't get into anymore shit."

"I saw mom today."

"To hell with your mama." my dad responds. "How she doing anyway?"

"She's good. She looks tired"

"Hell I would be too if I was doing 25 to life."

"I think you should visit her dad" I tell him.

"Son--"

"I'm back" Taegan says standing beside me.

"Pop, I got someone I want you to meet" I say.

"Taegan?" my dad blurts out.

"Oh my God, dad?"

"Boy, what the hell" my dad says slapping me up side the head. "that's yo fucking sister!"

( TO BE CONTINUED)