Blast from the Past cont.

Start from the beginning

I know that Kaldur is also reporting back to the team for me. I doubt Wally's been able to. I wonder if Bruce has been giving them updates at least. I don't want them to worry.

Finally, after what feels like an eternity in the Watchtower, I am finally cleared to go home. Bruce hovers around me after helping me up from my bed. My body shaking as my legs are not used to my weight anymore. Goddamn. I am going to have to train my ass off to get back to where I was.

Well, I mean I guess I should be grateful. I mean the alternative is much much worse. Bruce knows it too. That's why his eyes won't leave me and his arms are tense and slightly pushed forward. He's ready to catch me the moment I start to crumble. I think he's more shaken up than I am. I would be the exact same way if our roles were reversed though. I know that.

Bruce corrals me to the Zeta beam. We pass by some of the League members. Most exchange nice words and promise to not hold me up too long. The last bit is a lie. Everyone always finds a way to keep the conversation going. They have to tell me how proud they are and how much they love me. I get it. I almost died. They now feel as though they need to get everything off of their chests.

Once we finally make it back to the Manor, I need to rest. I plop down in the huge chair in front of our enormous Bat Computer. Multiple images fly across the many monitors set up in front of me. I watch them for a time, trying to prep myself for going to the elevator, seeing Alfred, then going upstairs to my bedroom. My chest still aches with the exertion I used just to get here.

Bruce dances around the cave, trying to get some of his tasks done but not wander too far. He still wants to watch me. He stalks around the table with new prototype Batarangs and other miscellaneous objects he's tinkering on.

"What are you making," I half shout through the cave. Bruce's head pops up and he gives a bashful smile. He sets down the tools and grabs one of the batarangs displayed on a stand. He makes his way over and crouches beside me. He lays the new batarang flat in his hand, showing me the design.

"You see up here," he directs my eyes to the tip of the batarang," when it is thrown a sensor will push a small needle through the top. This batarang is loaded with a new paralytic drug from Wayne Tech. It'll have the criminal out cold within 15 seconds of exposure."

"So what do we do when I accidentally prick my finger and have a full Sleeping Beauty moment," I laugh. Bruce smiles, shaking his head at my story.

"You won't. Don't worry. For the needle to come out, it has to hit a certain speed, or be triggered open by pressing hard- right here- on both sides," he explains, showing the points just under two of the wings. I nod my head, accepting the good news. Bruce smiles and makes his way back to the table, setting the Batarang carefully back on the stand.

Bruce turns around, leaning against the table." Are you ready to head up," he asks. I nod quickly and rise to my feet with a bit of effort. I can see Bruce is upset by the fact that I didn't let him help me, but I really couldn't care less. I just want to go upstairs and see Alfred. I want to be home.

It's hard not being able to fly up the stairs and to the elevator like I normally do. Now it's not just because of my injuries, it also has to do with Bruce's arms basically hovering around me. He stands constantly on guard like I will fall over with a simple light breeze. An eternity later, we make it to the elevator and start our trek up.

Alfred stands in the parlor waiting for our return. He casts me a smile as I come out of the grandfather clock and into his view. He holds on a silver tray his infamous cookie with two glasses of milk on the side. Bruce and Alfred both seem to usher me to the couch, but I stop before I make it there. I throw my arms tightly around Alfred, holding as tight as I can. I breathe in his somewhat spicy, familiar scent of peppermints and aftershave. His arms quickly wrap around me and I see Bruce out of the corner of my eye, set down the tray Alfred was holding.