"The Hand" by flowcherry : A Book Review

Reviewed by KimFry

What is a hand?  Aside from being part of human anatomy, every one is different, and every one tells a story.  Young, old, small, wrinkled, and … scary?

Flowcherry - also known as simply Flo - is a one year member to Wattpad with current on-going works such as: I Love You, Now & Forever, Love, Life and Maria, and others.  Recently, she delved into horror with her short story, The Hand.  She has begun her own interviews of Wattpad authors, and is a loyal fan with a following of her own.

The Hand, written in first person, begins with the main character, an unnamed girl, who wakes up every single night with a gnarled, monstrous hand hovering just above her face, ready to rip it off.  As the story progresses, the girl ages, and her mother writes her off as suffering from hallucinations.

Filled with a strange twist at the end, The Hand is simple, though captivating.  It leaves the reader enticed to continue reading to find out what happens next.  Though well thought out, it could use only slight revising to remove errors in grammar and add to flow, all of which takes away very little from the story.

In closing remarks, Flo stated the idea for The Hand simply came to her and she decided to write it out and see where it went.  She also stated that, sadly, she is not planning another horror in the immediate future, choosing to pursue a historical fiction instead.  All in all, Flo has a lot of potential and The Hand’s concept was simple, yet effective.