A reluctant smile had crept across Dorothy's face during Helena's speech.

"You know me far too well, milady," admitted Dorothy sheepishly.

Helena beamed.

"I should hope so, too!" she replied. "You have been attending me near each and every day these past many years; I should think it a great failure on my part were you not able to confide in me by now."

"You truly are a kind mistress indeed, milady."

"Now then," continued Helena briskly, waving away Dorothy's warm compliment. "Take a seat next to me here, and pray tell me what it is that is bothering you."

Despite Helena's prompting, Dorothy could not seem to help but hesitate just a little. Perching on the very edge of the luxurious armchair at the fireside, her gaze dropped to her lap, where her hands were unconsciously kneading the folds of her pristine white apron.

"Milady, I – I simply wished to express my sincerest apologies for not waking you this morning," she said eventually.

The words had spilled out in a single stream, and it took Helena a moment or two to fully process them.

"Apologise?" she echoed.

"Yes," murmured Dorothy, a faint blush creeping up her neck now. "I fear you must have been terribly cross, milady."

Helena could not quite hide her puzzlement.

"But I thought – it was my understanding that Miss Thorpe had offered to rouse me in your stead, as you were extremely busy this morning."

Dorothy's face was positively glowing with shame now.

"No!" she cried, clearly completely aghast. "No indeed! Milady, I beg that you believe me when I say that was not at all how it happened!"

Helena, becoming quite alarmed at Dorothy's distress, instinctively reached out and grasped her stuttering maid gently by the hand.

"Please try to calm yourself, Dorothy," soothed Helena. "I was not cross this morning; only taken greatly by surprise to find Miss Thorpe in my chambers."

Dorothy uttered a horrified groan.

"Oh, had I only known where it was she had gone to!" she lamented. "Had I any idea that it was her intention to go and – to go and rouse you, milady – I can assure you I would have put a stop to it at once!"

Puzzlement had now become complete confusion; Helena was well and truly mystified.

"Did Miss Thorpe not come down to the kitchens and offer her assistance this morning?"

"Yes – it is true that she appeared in the kitchens not after six 'o'clock this morning – which caused quite a stir amongst the kitchen staff. Most ashamed they were, milady, what with all the mess and shouting, them having just started with preparing breakfast.

"I was just off to assist with starting the fires, when Miss Thorpe approached me directly and enquired quite cheerily if I required any assistance – as if it were the most natural thing in the world for her to be down in the kitchens at that time of day. As you can well imagine, milady, I was most taken aback, and knew not what to do other than muttering something about needing to get on with tending to the fires. I hurried off then, hearing her approach another maid to ask whether they needed help.

"It was only several hours later, milady – just before your accident, in fact – that one of the scullery maids told me how Miss Thorpe, upon finding nothing to help with, had taken it upon herself to wake you. I hope you may understand, milady, the extent of my mortification upon this discovery. I cannot understand the meaning of Miss Thorpe's actions – I only know the severity of my own shame in allowing this to happen. I can only beg humbly for your forgiveness, milady, and promise that no such neglect of duty on my part shall take place again."

"There is nothing to forgive, Dorothy, but consider yourself entirely forgiven all the same, if it will alleviate some portion of your distress," replied Helena instantly.

"Thank you, milady," murmured Dorothy softly, shoulders sagging in relief.

In the brief silence that followed, Helena pondered this latest revelation.

What on earth had Miss Thorpe even been doing awake at that time in the first place? Helena considered herself to be an early riser, yet she would never find herself awake before seven. In any case, no matter how early she happened to rise – no matter how idly she found herself passing the seemingly endless hours before breakfast – Helena could say with certainty that it had never crossed her mind to venture down into the kitchens and offer her assistance!

There was something amiss with their Yorkshire guest; Helena's suspicions had been roused the very moment of Miss Thorpe's arrival the previous day, confirmed by the several instances of peculiar behaviour Miss Thorpe had since displayed. Loud, exceedingly unladylike and with complete disregard for propriety, it was impossible for Helena to imagine Miss Thorpe having been raised by any respectable friend of the late Lady Alverton. Who, then, had contributed to the upbringing of this girl?

"Thank you for informing me of this, Dorothy," sighed Helena. "Allow me to reiterate the fact that I am in no way displeased with you; I should hate for you to feel so. As for your promise that nothing of the sort shall happen again, fear not – for I shall be having words with Miss Thorpe myself on the matter."

The still-startled maid's eyes widened in shock, instantly causing Helena to feel guilty for her outburst. There was no need to speak quite so vehemently about Miss Thorpe; what on earth had got into her?

Their northern guest simply vexed her so, thought Helena with a sigh of resignation. That was the entire problem, really: it was difficult not to become worked-up in Miss Thorpe's company, when that lady threatened every modicum of order and neatness Helena had striven to preserve within these walls. There was simply no guessing what the wild young Yorkshire woman might do next – Helena's rude awakening this morning was proof enough of that – and the chaotic unpredictability made Helena very uncomfortable indeed.

Helena gave her head a firm little shake as Dorothy made to excuse herself. It would not do to dwell on Miss Thorpe; not now, in her current state of distress.

No, Helena would do much better to simply enjoy the brief peace and solitude the otherwise unfortunate events of the morning had offered. It would be the last opportunity for rest and relaxation for quite some time – for with the approach of Christmas came the impending arrival of another, very important houseguest at Alverton Hall, and Helena was determined that this time the preparations would be nothing short of perfect.

----------

A/N: Hmm, so Helena seems to be getting a little suspicious of their guest from Yorkshire. Who agrees with her that something doesn't seem right? Let me know in the comments below, and please give it a vote if you enjoyed! 

Next Tuesday's chapter will be something a little different... and we might even have the arrival of this mysterious new guest at Alverton Hall ;)