"Are you prepared, as you follow the path of Marriage, to love and honour each other for as long as you both shall live?"

"I am," Patrick said strongly, like he had practiced, as I stuttered, "I-I am."

Patrick shifted on his feet as I licked my lips, trying not to feel the lie.

"Are you prepared to accept children lovingly from God and to bring them up according to the law of Christ and his Church?"

"I am," we answered, my cheeks burning at the thought of having children with this man.

"Since it is your intention to enter into the covenant of Holy Matrimony, join your right hands, and declare your consent before God and his Church."

We did as the priest asked, trying to avoid as much eye contact as possible.

"Patrick, do you take Eliza for your lawful wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?"

"I do," he answered, his rich voice echoing through the church.

To me, the Priest asked, "Eliza, do you take Patrick for your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, until death do you part?

I swallowed, "I do."

"Oh Lord, bless the couple that comes here today in holy matrimony. Bless their souls, bless their love. For, what God joins together, let no one put asunder," he paused, dropping his head in a prayer, "we'll now have the rings."

I was grateful to be able to let go of him. Already he seemed to have a power over me that made me shiver. I turned to Zoey and took the silver band.

You're doing great, Zoey mouthed, making a small smile appear on my face before I turned back to Patrick who was waiting for me. 

"Patrick, repeat after me," the Priest told him, "Eliza, receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity."

Sliding the ring on my shaking hand, he repeated, "Eliza...receive this ring as a sign of my...love and fidelity."

It was like he couldn't say the words. I couldn't pretend not to feel a little offended.

"In the name of the father, and of the son and of the Holy Spirit," the priest finished.

"In the name of the father, and of the son and of the Holy Spirit," Patrick repeated, rubbing his thumb over my knuckles in a way of being affectionate.

I bit my lip, not knowing if I could return the favour.

"Eliza, repeat after me. Patrick, receive this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity."

I swallowed, placing the band on his left ring finger, "P-Patrick, receive this ring as a sign of my l-love and f-fidelity."

Patrick swallowed, the words taking a toll on his body.

"In the name of the father, and of the son and of the Holy Spirit."

"In the name of the father, and of the son and of the Holy Spirit," I finished, taking his hand, properly.

"In the power vested in me and in this Catholic Church. I pronounce you, husband and wife. Patrick, you may kiss your bride."

My eyes looked up into his soulless ones as I remembered this part of the ceremony. God, how could I forget that we were going to have to kiss?

My heart started to race when Patrick took a step to close in the gap between us. Air caught in my throat when he took my hip in one hand and with the other knelt my chin up to meet his lips.