Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Someone whimpered behind me, and I stopped with my ears pricking with the familiar sound. I turned around to a familiar little brown wolf. His green eyes were just like mine saddened by the change in scenery. I stepped up, pressing my muzzle against his head reassuringly. I gave him a lick and pulled my arm around him. He pulled his ears back and wagged his tail happily licking my neck.

He looked back up at me, tilting his head to the side, pointing back were we came with his nose. I sighed and nodded, starting our walk back. We walked side by side back to the camp, quietly keeping our thoughts to ourselves. My ears pricked at the sound of happy yelping. I looked to the direction of the noise; at least two dozen wolves appeared, running in the other direction. They yelped at each other conversing happily. Two were leading, one black, and the other was a dark grey. They were the biggest out of all of them. They didn't seem to notice us, but looked around, hyper-aware of everything else.

I pumped my legs, picking up more speed. The sky darkened with each step, and I wanted to get back to the cabin before nightfall. I didn't want to stick around in the woods at night, panic striking my heart for a moment of fear, not being able to get back. My stomach growled, yelling for food. She hadn't eaten in days, nauseous from the airplane and her parents' leaving.

When we arrived, I hardly recognized the cabin. I mustn't have been really looking when we got here hours ago, or I just forgot. The third floor was surrounded in a balcony, and pillars held it up. I walked around to the garage. The front had one small balcony on the fifth floor. There was also a balcony on the roof, but it was hardly noticeable from the front. I walked up to the sliding door under the large balcony and started whining. Mary Lane walked onto the balcony, and as soon as she saw us, ran back inside.

"You guys stayed out late," she said, throwing clothes down to us. They landed on top of my head. I shook them off and yelped at her. "We expected you hours ago."

I picked up the clothes and ran to the forest, the other wolf following me. I picked out my clothes, and left the others for him. I shifted easily, effortlessly mending my bones back to my human shape. My brother shifted right beside me, his shift slightly more painful. We were perfectly comfortable shifting beside each other, even though we shifted back, naked. Werewolves learn not to be so self-conscious, even though I still was around anyone besides my family. There was no official pack down in Florida, and families rarely got together enough to see each other shift.

"Selena, I want to go home," Logan stated. I looked at him and wrapped my arm around his shoulder. I rubbed my hand over his bushy brown hair and lead him back to the house.

"There is no going back now Logan," I replied, sighing in frustration. "We're here for good. I believe this is our home now. " My depression slightly faded as I breathed the deep, musty smell of the forest. For once, I didn't see what happened back in the field two years before. I felt safe surrounded by trustworthy wolves.

"I know," he looked back up at me. He caught a glimpse of something at the edge of his vision and his head bolted up. I turned to a small boy about my brother's age as he leaned against the open glass door. He smiled and walked out towards us, keeping a gaze on me.

"Hey, I'm Kevin," he said, holding his hand out. I shook it cautiously but swiftly. Logan hesitated. He shook his hand, trying to look superior to Kevin as he watched my brother curiously. Kevin looked just like my brother, but a little taller and fuller with a thicker profile.

"Logan, and this is my sister Selena," my brother said, raising his voice with assurance. I raised my eyebrows, surprised by his sudden boldness to look bigger.