Chapter 11

Back at the house, Leon helped Quinn and Serenity out of the car; then picked Quinn up in his arms and walked her up to the house with Serenity following closely behind. She opened the door and allowed Leon to go in first. She walked in and closed the door, flinching at the dry heat that smacked her in the face when she entered. Leon swore and turned his head, as if trying to ward off the discomfort of the humidity suffocating the room.

"The air conditioner stopped working," Serenity quietly explained.

Leon looked over at her and twisted his lips in empathy. "I'll call an electrician buddy of mine and see if he can come and take a look at it. It's on me."

Serenity was quiet for a moment. "Thank you."

Leon simply nodded and carefully laid her semi-conscious mother on the worn couch. He stood up with is his hands in his back pockets and mournfully stared at her for a while. He looked at Serenity and ran his hands over his face. "We need to take her to the hospital Ren."

"No," Serenity quickly objected. "She'll be okay. I'll take care of her."

"You don't need to keep doing this by yourself."

"It's fine. I've done it for years. I'm all she has. Besides, she'll just run away again. Just like she always does."

Leon skeptically looked at her; then uneasily ran his head over the back of his bald head. "You call me if you need me," he said in a no-nonsense tone.

Serenity quietly nodded. Leon looked down at her mother. Serenity's heart twitched at the look of longing and love in his eyes. Someone had looked at her like that only yesterday. It was brief and it wasn't real but it had been beautiful. Her mother didn't know how lucky she was to have someone in her life who loved her in spite of all her scars, ugliness, and flaws. She had no doubt Leon would walk through the fires of hell and fight the Devil to ensure the wellness and healing of her mother. She prayed someday soon her mother would wake up and realize what she had in front of her. But hell, if she couldn't stop using for her own daughter...

"Take care," Leon said, breaking her thoughts. He gave her a quick hug, walked to the door and went out, closing it quietly behind him.

Serenity watched through the curtained window as Leon started his car and drove off. She walked over to her mother and put her arm around her back, lifting her effortlessly off the couch. She threw her arm around her shoulder and slowly walked her to the bathroom, glancing furtively at an old picture of her and her mother when she was a young girl. Her mother had been so beautiful. At one time her hair was as thick and full of curls as her daughter's, her body was curvy and proportioned, her light-brown eyes were alive and full of joy, and her golden skin was as smooth as silk and vibrant. Now, she was this. All because of her love for a man.

Reaching down to turn on the water in the bathtub, Serenity held her fingers beneath the faucet and sprinkled some of the cool water on her hot face. Leaving the water cold, she turned on the shower, kicked off her shoes and stepped inside, pulling her mother with her. She slid down to the floor and threw her arms over her Mother, holding her still as she began to weakly squeal, flail, and try to move away from her. Serenity held her tight and laid her head on her shoulder, closing her eyes and keeping her arms locked around her mother as Quinn continued to fight for a few moments. She eventually settled down with a long, whimpering moan as her head lolled forward, her broken off hair hanging loosely from her face as the cool water cascaded over herself and Serenity.

Shakes and tears racked Serenity as she stared at the chipped paint on the wall in front of them. She laid her head on her mom's bony shoulder and placed her ear to her neck, listening to her heartbeat.