Chapter 1

Running from Fate is under construction!

There will be several mistakes until this construction is finished, but the story is still readable. I promise! Please bare with them, and I think you'll enjoy!

P.S. Running from Fate was previously titled The Black Iris so there are a few [old] references to the former title.

Thank you!

(Edited 1/27/16)

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Chapter One

I EXAMINED MYSELF in the mirror of my temporary apartment. Twirling a piece of my hair around my index finger, I released it, watching my waist length black hair fall thick at my sides. Reaching up, I cupped the back of my white wolf ears that were unconciously flicking on top of my head and then flattened them against my head to see what it would look like without having my ears.

"It looks weird," I thought to myself before dropping my hands to my swishing white tail.

Leaning forward while stroking the fur of my tail, I observed the glowing Lupus constellation tattoo that marked me as a Host. Briefly I wondered if this would be considered strange, but tattoos were seen on many people, so I doubted it. Lastly, my dark indigo eyes that changed colors between blue and violet. I looked at my clothing- a cheap, short dress with some high heels that I purchased at Goodwill, and my hair now pulled back into a high ponytail.

Concentrating my power, I managed to conceal my tail and put a large beanie to cover my ears. Glancing over my appearance once more, I subconsciously grabbed hold of the padlock around my neck and squeezed tightly. I hated doing this, but if I wanted to do what I set out to accomplish, then I had to.

"I don't like it either, but if you truly want to experience the life of a girl your age, you will need to get money," Lupus comforted me.

I had tried to keep up with my education for the 6 months I had been running from my father's pack, but it was hard since I was constantly trying to stay one step ahead of them. Always running. I had managed so far, and I wanted nothing more than to be normal, so with Lupus's encouragement, I decided that I could enroll in school for a short time before moving on again. I knew I couldn't stay too long, and I was taking a tremendous risk, but I really wanted this. I had been isolated my entire life, and I wanted to see what it was like to be around others. I couldn't actually be friends with anyone, but I could at least observe them and see what I had missed out on. I wanted to at least pretend for a little while that I was normal.

I had two more days before I would officially enroll, seeing as tomorrow was a teacher work day. I would start on Tuesday which would be Valentine's Day. This gave me enough time to make sure I have everything before my classes start.

I walked out of the dingy apartment and walked down the stairs and by the front desk, waving to the manager. The only reason I was able to get a room here in the first place was because I usually went to a local club and stole some drunk guy's wallet. That's right, I was a pickpocket. I wasn't proud of the fact, but I needed to do what I could to keep one step ahead of my father's pack, and the best way to do that was by paying in cash and making sure my scent blended in with the surroundings so when they finally did catch up to me, it took them twice as long to decipher which way I went.

Going down a couple of blocks I spotted the bouncer. This club was obviously a popular, because there was a long line. As I passed everyone, I took a deep breath and rolled my shoulders, getting ready for my act, and stood in front of the bouncer.

The bouncer noticed me and I cocked my hip with a raised eyebrow.

"Hey, big guy, care to let me in there?" I asked, as if I owned the place. Seeming to like my moxie, he gave a wolfish grin and slid the rope aside.

"Come on in, pretty lady." He said, ushering me in.

I winked, giving him my thanks and walked right in. When I got inside, the lights were flashing throughout the dark room as I walked up to the bar. The bartender, who looked about 23 gave me a grin as I walked up.

"Hello, sexy thing, what can I getcha?" he asked giving me a wink. Realizing he had a double meaning to his words, I struggled to ignore his comment.

"Pina Colada." I ordered. He pushed himself away, making my drink expertly and gave it to me.

"How much?" I asked.

"On the house, doll." He said, giving me a lop-sided grin.

I nodded in satisfaction, not giving him a second look as I spun around on my bar stool and surveyed the room for a easy, but rich looking guy. I found a drunk guy that looked to be a businessman, by the way he was dressed. He was standing by the bar talking to a woman, completely engrossed in their conversation. Judging by the way his hip was cocked out from leaning against the bar, he was just asking for me to pickpocket him. I saw an exit door just off behind him.

Bingo.

"I'm right here if you need me." Lupus soothed.

I nodded silently, telling him I understood and I walked past the drunk man, and with whispering fingers, quickly slipped his wallet out of his back pocket and into my palm. When I got to the exit, I looked through my veil of hair and saw that he didn't notice. Releasing the breath I didn't realize I was holding, I left the stuffy club and entered into an alley smelling of garbage. To my far left there was a couple grinding on each other and I wrinkled my nose but focused my attention to the wallet and counted the cash in there. Two-hundred, not bad. I stuck the wad of cash into my bra and checked for anything else that might be useful. Nothing. I began walking, throwing the useless wallet into the garbage bin and walked back to a Chinese restaurant that did take out and got a big bag of food that would last as left overs for a while and walked back to the apartment for the night. Tomorrow I would go shopping for several outfits for school.

After I ate, I took a quick shower and hopped in bed.

"Good night, Iris" said Lupus.

"Good night." I replied.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________