When my dad walked in he blamed me. He started screaming and throwing things. He beat the fucking shit out of me that night"

I laughed humorlessly thinking back.

"From then on, I became his punching bag. I was the thing he used to take out his anger. His plaything to push around when he needed a good laugh. I was never able to bring myself to hit him back. Which I think sparked him more. He would always think back to my mom. Seeing her dead body on the floor. And the more he blamed me, the more I started to believe it. I started to realize I was the reason my mom was dead, and I couldn't save her"

"I started acting cold. I started shutting people out. I couldn't let people see the emotional pain of my mothers death. The physical pain of my fathers abuse. And mental pain of both. I became Temper the fighter who got her 'battle scars' through her fights not the drunken mess she faced when she got home. So since I was 10 years old I've been hiding the abuse through makeup, a boxer illusion, and a cold front"

Grayson blinked, staring at me blankly.

"So yup, that's my story" I smiled awkwardly at him. I could tell he was shocked and didn't know what to say. I don't really blame him to be honest. I mean, how do you respond when someone dumps all this shit on you at once?

"You have to tell someone" Grayson finally spoke. My eyebrows furrowed in confusion.

"I did. I told you" I pointed out. Grayson got up and ran a hand through his hair.

"No, no. I mean, like the cops Ryder. He can't keep doing this to you" he growled.

"He's not. He promised me that it wouldn't happen anymore" I also got up as anger took over me. Grayson laughed humorlessly.

"Yeah and how long is that gonna last princess?" He smiled sarcastically.

"Fuck you Gray. He finally admitted it. He finally manned up to the situation and recognized that he's been abusing me. He's the only family I have left" I yelled.

"Ryder please listen to me," he walked over to me and cupped my face in his hands, "you have to report this. I know it's hard but I'll be with you the whole time. If you don't go to the cops, I will"

"No!" I quickly exclaimed, "Grayson you can't. Please Gray. You promised"

Grayson's P.O.V.

"You promised" she whispered staring at me. God damn those blue eyes. A sigh escaped my lips.

I want to tell the cops. I need to tell the cops. But Ryder's blue eyes pleaded me not too. Hell, she was begging me. And Ryder doesn't beg for anything.

I cupped her face in my hands and searched her eyes.

"I won't let him hurt you Ryder. I'm no fucking God. But I swear on everything that I won't let anyone hurt you" I whispered.

I don't know what happened but any ounce of hatred I had towards her completely left my body. I knew my eyes held sincerity as I searched her face for a response.

All the sudden, Ryder shook her head as my hands still cupped her face. When my eyes found hers again I almost choked in surprise. Her blue orbs held pain, raw emotion, and tears threatening to fall. For the first time, I was able to see beyond her cold front. She was letting me in.

"Please babe, let me in" I whispered.

Ryder threw herself into my shirt, clutching onto me for dear life. I felt her body shaking as her face pressed into my chest. Maybe now wasn't the best time but fuck it felt good to have her in my arms. I could seriously get use to this. Yet my shirt did not fill with tears like I thought it would. Instead I felt Ryder shaking and heavily breathing. It only took me a few moments to realize she was having a panic attack.

"Hey, hey" I comforted her stroking her hair, "It's okay, just try to take some deep breathes for me"

After holding her and comforting her for a while she finally calmed down. She pulled away a wiped her nonexistent tears.

"Sorry," she looked down, "I don't know what came over me"

"No, you're not doing this Ryder. You are not going to push me away. I know you are hurting. I know you are feeling pain. I am too. Please let me help. I can't promise to make everything better but I can promise that I'll do everything in my fucking power to put a smile on that beautiful face" I was taken back by the amount of sincerity my voice held and I could tell Ryder was too.

Ryder simply nodded making me smile. This is the first step of her opening up and I can tell it won't be the last. I bit my lip to try and control the grin forming on my face.

"Do you want to spend the night?" I questioned. Please say yes. Please say yes.

"I should probably go. My dad's really trying with the whole 'I actually give a shit about you' thing, so he might be worried" she let out a tiny smile. I internally groaned. Fuck. I really wanted to be able to hold her and run my fingers through her hair.

"I'll take you home" I offered and started walking downstairs. I didn't exactly give her much of a choice, but oh well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When we arrived at her house, I felt like locking the car door just so she wouldn't have to leave. Man, I'm fucking whipped.

"Thank you Grayson, for everything" Ryder leaned over and kissed my cheek. This time I couldn't stop the giant smile from spreading across my face. As Ryder got out of the car, I rolled the window down to make sure she gets in okay. All the sudden she popped her head back in the window with a wide grin on her face.

"And don't worry Gray, I'll be back with my witty, sarcastic remarks tomorrow" She winked before heading inside. I shook my head with a grin.

That's the Ryder I know.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I know everyone wants to kill me right now. I haven't updated in literally like 2 months. I'm so sorry. I can't make any excuses but I also have some things going on right now. Shit is really fucking hard and I don't know how to handle it anymore.

I'll continue with story so don't worry, and I'm sorry I've been so crappy lately.

Thank you guys so much for sticking with this story.

~ Fighting Turtle 🐢