Diary of a bad housewife chapter 10

Chapter 10

The following morning, Harry Rhodes III called to confirm. "It's settled, Julia, ninety-three million dollars. I'll arrive in two days, flight one-three-zero. I'll have a few hours layover, then I catch a flight to London Heathrow. Can you spare a few minutes to meet me at the airport?"

"You're coming all the way here? Of course! It's the least I can do."

"I have to apologize. I planned to travel with a couple of the ladies I mentioned, but I'm afraid one couldn't make it. For some reason, British Airways banned her..."

"Oh, my God. Naomi Campbell, right? I read about that!"

"Er, I'm afraid I can't reveal Miss Cam-... That is, I can't disclose anything about my clients. However, I don't know if you know a Miss Schiffer, but because of stalking threats, I have to accompany her to England..."

"Claudia? Claudia Schiffer?"

"... and she'd love to meet you."

"Oh, my God. I'd die to meet her."

"It's settled, then, right. My flight's due to arrive at nineteen twenty... That's seven twenty in the evening, your time. Does your airport have a Northwest or Delta lounge where we could meet? Or a good airport bar or hotel perhaps? Someplace we can meet after I clear Customs?"

"I'm sure they do."

"Bear in mind, U.S. Customs might demand you prepay taxes on the amount I'm bringing in, so be prepared if that happens. Naturally, a few minutes later you will have a certified check in hand."

Oh, no, I thought. With the credit card maxed out, the only funds left was the money we salted away for a house of our own and the children's college fund.

"Is there a problem, Julia?"

"Uh, I have to work on that. I hadn't realized how much money I already sent."

"We're almost at the peak of the mountain, my dear, so close now. Two days from today, I'll place ninety-three million in your hands."

I swallowed. "Okay. I'll work something out."

We'd saved almost six thousand in our little fund, thanks to Colin who was terrific managing our money. If I had to prepay taxes, I'd deposit $93 million the next morning and get the money back in the account without being noticed. And what could Colin say? I'd be his heroine.