Chapter 7 - Lynch Mob

The unnoticed morning sun of a city began to rise, hidden behind a thick blanket of grey, cold clouds.

The city once again, was shadowed in deep blue rain, slathering the world below in icy sharp pricks. Running among the streets being bombarded by the needles of rain, was a rowdy group of teenagers, laughing wildly and whooping.

There was a rhino, a zebra, and then the leader of them all; an evilly grinning jack rabbit. In his right paw, was a remote, with the words ZPD Collar Trigger painted on it.

These remotes were stolen and bootlegged so much, anyone and their mother's mother could go out and buy one. This was why the death rates of predators were so high; prey just loved to torment, hell, sometimes killed predators.

Usually, a person would just torment a said predator with the shock button; but it wasn't unusual for a group of kids to get their sick kicks by killing said predator with the Lethal Needle button.

What was funny was that the ZPD had no idea about this, even after the thirty years the city started introducing the collars.

This group of teenagers were chasing a poor grizzly bear, twenty four years old; and was panting with desperate breaths.

"Here big dumb grizzly!" The jack rabbit cooed mockingly, sprinting out after the large mass of terrified brown fur.

"Please stop!" He cried out in his deep voice, his lungs blistering with the razor sharp cold air invading them. He turned a street, down to an alleyway; but in some twist of sad fate, his foot got caught in a curb storm grate, and down his ankle snapped like a pathetic little toothpick.

His foot got so far lodged in, when his ankle snapped, he thrust forward, and his skull connected with the pavement in an ugly, white hot crack.

He groaned, rain seeped into his already soaked fur, and accepted defeat. The heavy padding of the animals grew closer, till he felt the vibrations of them dancing all around him.

"Check this out guys! We got ourselves a fatty this time!"

The bear moaned with pain, the pounding in his skull was enough, and then the last thing the poor bear felt was a white hot needle sinking into his neck.

XXX

Nick Wilde was once again awake in the hospital, calmly humming some bassline to a song he remembered from his childhood.

But that was good, Nick thought.

He wasn't happy, not at peace, not sad, but calm. Which, was something he hadn't felt in forever.

Even as the rain continued to heavily knock on his window like a creeping death, Nick just tapped his fingers against his chest and hummed.

The dim blue light from the window was the only real source of light, and the rain on the window casted their faint, runny shadows across everything.

The scent of rain was also calming. It was so sweet and blue, it reminded him of the forest from his childhood... the forest.

He wanted to go back to the forest. Yes, he forest. Oh by God yes, he was going to go back one of these days.

Nick lightly smiled, thinking of visiting the forest.

But, while the memory was nice, he had... something else on his mind.

Like some twist of bittersweet destiny, he had met that rabbit police officer. She had come into his world like, well, quite literally a bolt of electricity. It was a scary, even quite hateful introduction if anything. His quarrel of angry words and twisting emotions from when he had first started talking to her, had blossomed into a growing friendship. Something that was still confusing to Nick.