"Fuck. Leave, Gabrielle," Alexander replies with a tight voice.

I know that me speaking, even in a whisper, doesn't help his state and it would probably be a good idea for me to leave. But something holds me back and I just don't want to leave him here all alone in pain.

Besides, it also feels good to be torturing him back and see him all defenceless and weak instead of his mean-self.

"I won't leave until you eat," I reply back.

"Get. Out," he grits out.

I only sit up straighter on the bed and literally refuse to go anywhere. We sit in silence for minutes, neither of us saying a word.

I sigh when I literally can't take it anymore. It's weird, hearing his breathing right beside me and knowing he's there, but not really being able to see him. "You have to eat," I try again with a soft voice, trying another tactic.

There's complete silence on his end. I think for a second that maybe he actually fell asleep because he doesn't even groan. I extend my arm out slowly and I come into contact with his hair. I should move it away. But I don't.

I'm surprised by how soft it feels. It's thick and long enough to take my fingers through it. Which I do. I hold my breath. I don't know why I'm even doing that. I feel a little bolder now that I know he can't do anything to me. I also feel a bit different about him now after that kiss last night.

I caress his hair, doing it for God knows how long. I should just leave. I should stand up and just go and leave him alone. Let Rosalyn take care for him. He doesn't deserve my help after everything he's done to me, anyway. I shouldn't try to give him any comfort and try to help him.

I remove my hand from his hair and put it down on the cold mattress beside him. I feel the heat from his body. This is all so weird.

I almost jump up when I feel the bed move again and I hear him move. I feel my heart in my throat, beating wildly. He's not asleep.

And that is confirmed when his hand searches for mine on the mattress and lifts it up, putting it on his head, burying it in his soft, thick hair. All the air seems to escape my lungs. I literally feel the heart beating in my chest and can't do anything to calm it down.

I'm frozen for minutes, just sitting there with my hand in his air. None of us speaks. Alexander doesn't say anything and I don't dare to open my mouth, either. I'm in too much shock to even get anything out of me.

I start going through his hair again, softly caressing it and massaging his scalp. I think it calms him down and helps him with the pain.

If I forget about how weird this is, it actually feels nice. And unfamiliar. Something completely new. It's also exciting because who would've thought that I'd be right here, caressing Alexander Holt's hair out of all the people? And after everything that happened between us ...

I don't know how long we're there in the dark, me going with my fingers through his hair, when the door opens. I jump up in surprise and my heart starts beating fast.

Rosalyn doesn't turn the light on, which I'm very grateful for, and I think Alexander is too, even though he doesn't say anything.

I see Rosalyn's silhouette at the door from the light in the hallway. "Gabby? You're still here?"

Busted. What do I have to say in my defence? "Uh, yeah," I whisper. I stopped moving my hand and just let it rest in Alexander's hair. I remove it slowly. He protests with a groan but doesn't make any movement.

"Did he eat?" Rosalyn asks.

"No," I admit. I feel a bit guilty that I didn't get him to eat. That's what I was basically sent in here for.