Chapter 6 ~ Hey, I Just Met You....

Start from the beginning

  Taffy peered worriedly down both ends of the hall before following Molly into the Library.

  "What are we doing?" She whispered.

  "I don't know, but I think this is where I was going." Molly replied, running her fingers lightly along the books lining the shelves.

  Taffy closed the door, trying to be smart about their little midnight adventure. She finally focused on the entirety of the room and gaped at its size.

  "This library is huge!"

  Books lined every wall, reaching from floor to ceiling with a second level to reach the ones higher up. In the center of the room were more shelves, filled with yet more books. It was every reader's dream.

  "This place is so cool." Molly whispered back.

  "I agree, but why did you want to come here in the middle of the night....while I have to pee, I might add." Taffy asked.

  "I don't know." Molly said, studying the shelves intensely. "It's like an urge; you know, that feeling you get when you have something you need to do, but you can't remember what it is."

  "I know the feeling." Taffy thought back to all the times she'd been drunk or stoned out of her mind. Even then she'd known she needed to go home, but her brain didn't understand; it only felt an urgency to act in some way.

  "I found it."

  Taffy spun toward Molly. "Found what?"

  "Whatever it is I'm looking for." Molly said, holding up a forest green book, that was thin and tall.

  Taffy walked to her side. "You know, this is starting to feel a little strange. Are you sure you're okay?"

  "I'm fine."

  Both girls studied the book. There was nothing on the cover and no title on the binding. 

  "What do you think it is?" Taffy wondered.

  "Hey!"

  Taffy jumped and Molly's head snapped to the side at the sudden interruption. A bright light shone in both their eyes, blinding them.

  "What are you two girls doing in here?" The voice was rough and chalky and most definitely angry.

  Molly tucked the book beneath her nightshirt. Taffy brought a hand up to shield her eyes. They were in a lot of trouble.

  "We got lost looking for the bathroom." Taffy explained.

  The man lowered his flashlight from their faces. "Nice try. This floor is restricted at night. You're a long ways from any bathroom."

  When the spots dissolved from Molly's eyes, she could make out his silhouette. He was tall, wearing a tan uniform, had dark hair and a pinched face. His face was smug as if he were unhappy to be awake this late, but his eyes glimmered with something close to excitement. She bet his job got pretty boring when nobody broke the rules. They'd just made his night.

  "Let's go." He gestured to the door with his flashlight.

  Taffy and Molly exited the library, dreading what would happen next. Was he going to let them off with a warning?

  As soon as he closed the door, Taffy said, "I really do have to use a bathroom though."

  He showed no emotion. "Let's go!"

  He guided them down the hall and a couple flights of stairs before stopping them outside a door. He knocked three times, the sound echoeing abnormally loud in the quiet tranquility of the night. Taffy flinched, wanting anything but to be standing here. Molly kept her arms crossed tightly across her stomach, holding the book firmly beneath her nightshirt. It's proximity gave her courage.