Perception of Love

Perception:

• the ability to see, hear, or become aware of something through the senses

• the state of being or process of becoming aware of something through the senses

• a way of regarding, understanding, or interpreting something; a mental impression

• intuitive understanding and insight

--------------------

Everyone just wants to be loved. This concept became very clear to Magnus when he first laid eyes on Alexander Lightwood. With fortified walls built around his feelings, Alec seemed impenetrable. The Berlin Wall of protected hearts. But within these walls was a fragile being that needed all the love in the world and someone to love back. A reason to believe in love, if you will.

But Magnus was in no rush. Neither was Alec, judging from the looks of things. Their relationship was going rather slow (for lack of a better term) and Alec seemed to have his mind occupied with other things that didn't involve any of the cutesy, lovey dovey things such as cuddling or holding hands or giving butterfly kisses (Magnus has yet to give him a butterfly kiss. He heard they were fun and ticklish).

But there was a mutual respect between the two, and by respect that meant keeping it professional when around other Shadowhunters. Magnus hated this rule. It prevented him from wrapping his arms around Alec's slim waist and resting his chin on the Shadowhunter's shoulder while kissing the side of Alec's neck. Rules were meant for those who like order. Not that Magnus didn't like order because he did. He loved a good order as much as the next person, but what was life without a little chaos?

"We're starting the search in the upper east side of New York. There's been several witnesses-mundane witnesses-that the rogue wolves have been terrorizing the homeless in the alleyways. Our job is to take them out before they kill someone. Gear up and gear up as best as you can. I don't want anyone hurt under my watch. Any activity can be reported to me when we come back and I guarantee that everyone will be coming back safe and unharmed. We're moving out at nightfall. Dismissed."

Magnus loved when Alec spoke with such authority. It was a pity that he didn't talk like this in the bedroom; deep but rich authoritative voice that told Magnus what to do and how to do it. If Magnus was told to jump out a window with this voice, he'd probably do it in a heartbeat. With a voice as sexy as that, how could one not listen? Some people don't understand or see the attraction of authority figures, but Magnus did. He could see a difference in Alec from the time they met to even right now as he commanded a squad of Shadowhunters. He was in the process of becoming head of the New York institute, so the role seemed fitting. If the shoe fits, as the mundanes say.

"That was a very uplifting and motivational speech. I'm almost tempted to gear up myself and join the hunt but I'm not wearing my werewolf hunting clothes," Magnus said with a smile. "Well done. You should be proud of yourself."

Alec snorts at this. Even if he did change since they met, he still felt that people undermined his authority and didn't take him seriously. That probably wouldn't change, but he still made sure that people knew he was in charge. "Thanks. I'm just wondering now how many of them will actually gear up like I expect them to. They'll need more than just a single weapon and a stele if they expect to take down a rogue wolf pack."

"They're young, Alec. Of course they're not going to listen. That's how young minds think." Magnus reached down and rubbed Alec's hand with a thumb. He sighed as Alec pulled away. "You know you're going to have to tell me what's on your mind eventually. You can't avoid me forever."