Summer Romance

Part 2 of 4 of Four Seasons

Summer time in Brooklyn was always interesting. I tended to shake things up a little bit by making it snow for the boys or casting a spell on their pool toys so that they moved on their own while the boys played with them. It was never dull moment during the Summer.

It was also the season that Alec and I got married in. I remember the day all too well. It started off a little cloudy but by the afternoon, the sun was blazing and there wasn't a single cloud in the sky. I couldn't ask for a better day to have a wedding.

Alec was fumbling with the cuffs of his suit. It wasn't hard to tell that the man was nervous. I was nervous too; I was just better at hiding it than he was.

"You're doing it wrong," I said to him as his button popped open for the millionth time.

"No kidding. I don't even think I put my pants on the right way this morning when I woke up," he chuckled nervously as I helped him with his cuffs. "I feel sick to my stomach, Magnus. Like I'm going to throw up."

"That's just your nerves. You'll be fine once we're out there reciting our vows. You did remember to bring your vows, right?"

Alec nodded. "Yes. I got them in my pocket. Put them in there last night so I wouldn't forget." He took a deep breath and looked at his reflection in the mirror. "Do I look okay?"

I looked him over and smiled broadly. "You look extremely handsome. Are you sure we can't just elope? So I can recite my vows naked to you?"

He laughed at this. I loved his laugh. It was as nice as petting a puppy or getting extra icing on your chocolate cake. "I'm sure. My family would probably kill me if they didn't get the chance to see me get married. Especially Izzy. She put so much thought and effort into planning our special day."

This was true. Isabelle and Clary had been planning our wedding for years. Yes, Alec and I had been engaged for 4 years. We both had been so busy that we really couldn't find the time to just get married. It was actually Isabelle who put her foot down one day and claimed that the wedding was happening asap. Sure enough, two weeks later the institute was decorated and suddenly it was our wedding day.

"I can't believe we're finally getting married," Alec smiled. "It seems like a lifetime ago that we just met."

"Memory demons. Bringing lovers together since the dawn of time," I smirked as Alec grinned at me. "Do you have any regrets?"

"Regrets?" Alec shook his head. "None. None whatsoever. Every decision I've made thus far has led me to this point in my life. I wouldn't go back and change a thing."

I nodded. "Neither would I, Alexander. Neither would I."

And just like the blink of an eye, we were married. Vows were shared, cake was crushed in our faces, we danced the night away. Just like that it was over. I barely even had time to fully relish in the feeling when I realized that this actually happened. I was married. I had a gorgeous husband and two sons now. This dream I've had ever since I could remember had finally come true. I had the family I always dreamed of.

Two summers after we got married, we got into a fight. It was stupid, really. Looking back on it now, I regret all the awful things I said to Alec at the time. I'd take them all back if I could.

"What do you mean, they voted against Downworlders adopting Shadowhunter children?!" I shouted at him.

Alec, the Inquisitor at the time, gripped his hair in frustration. "What else could I mean, Magnus? Huh? I submitted a request for a new law and it was turned down. They see it as an atrocity. Downworlders raising Shadowhunter children is like having two gay parents to them."