Original Edition: 12 | Poison

Start from the beginning

"Hi," I greet the young blonde woman in front of me, and she looks up from her computer screen in surprise.

"Good evening," she says pleasantly, before her eyes narrow in recognition. "Wait a second..." she trails off, and I feel my stomach clench. "You're Audrey's little sister, aren't you?"

My smile falters slightly, but I do my best to keep it in place. "That's me."

"She hasn't come in to work all week," she murmurs, eyebrows furrowing. "Is everything okay?"

Swallowing, I nod again, pressing my lips together. "Yeah, she's just come down with a bad cold," I lie. "She hasn't left her bed the past few days."

"That's terrible," she laments, looking as though she genuinely means it. "I hope she feels better soon."

"Me too," I agree, before clearing my throat and shifting my weight between my feet.

It takes her a moment, before she blinks, snapping back to attention, and looking embarrassed. "I'm sorry," she says, her hand fluttering up to her forehead. "You're waiting for me to seat you. Table for one?"

"Actually, no," I reply, sticking my hands into my pockets once more. "I'm looking for Parker. Is he here?"

"Oh, yeah. I'll go get him," she says, before giving me another small smile. "But don't steal him for too long, he's kind of important."

"I won't," I promise, returning her smile weakly, and she leaves her post to head back into the kitchen. I've already stolen him long enough.

Biting my lip, I do a scan of the room, tapping my foot anxiously. It hits me out of the blue how fucked up this truly is. My sister is at home, drowning in her heartbreak, and I'm about to speak with her boyfriend. The pressing feeling of guilt creeps into my chest, into my lungs, threatening to suffocate me.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I take a deep breath.

What am I doing?

The question hits me with the force of a freight train as I open my eyes again, feeling a rush of impending tears. How much more selfish could I possibly be? I don't know why I thought it would be a good idea to speak to him at all, no matter how alone I may feel right now. Parker is the last person I should be trying to contact.

Shaking my head as if to chastise myself, I turn on my heel, preparing to leave. But I only make it a few steps before a hand encircles around my arm, and I freeze.

"Allie, wait," I hear behind me, and I swallow, instantly recognizing the voice.

Turning around, I find Parker in his white uniform, brown eyes wide as he stares down at me, his expression desperate. I swallow, my mouth suddenly dry, and he releases me. We're silent for a few moments before I look down, my eyebrows furrowing.

"I shouldn't have come," I murmur, my voice low. "I'm sorry."

I make to walk away, but his voice comes in again, his footsteps following suit. "Just wait," he begs, the hopeless tone of his timbre causing me to halt again. He simply gazes at me for a few moments, as if he can't believe I'm standing before him. "Stay. Please."

Remaining rooted in place, I shake my head. "I can't," I say firmly.

His eyes are far away, as if he didn't hear me. "It's good to see you," he says, the words nearly getting lost in the surrounding bustle of the restaurant. His statement reinforces that being here is a bad idea, and my legs twitch, urging me to flee.

"Parker," a new voice sounds, the same girl from before emerging from the kitchen, giving him a meaningful look, "we need you back here!"

He reluctantly tears his gaze away from mine, and I use the opportunity to take an inconspicuous step back. "I'll be right there."