gift

"I know it isn't much, but it's kind of important to me and it's good for you to always have, even when I'm not here."

You can hear Tyler rambling on, but his voice is distant. You're focused in on the small, brown ukulele in your hands. You gently roll it around in your hands and examine every inch of it. Some spots of it are worn and you can see that it's been loved. You feel your eyes start to burn a bit.

This was Tyler's first ever ukulele. It was a slightly used one he got on sale from a music store in town. You've never really seen him play on it, but you know he used to use it all the time. You asked about it once a few months in to your relationship after seeing it in his room. It was on display, almost like a piece of art. You understood that it meant a lot to him, but you never thought he'd be giving it to you.

"(Y/n)?" Tyler asks softly, causing  you to look up from your trance on the ukulele.

"Hm?" You look up, quickly realizing that your eyes are a bit irritated. "Sorry" your words are small.

You can see that he's still anxious and he takes a deep breath. "Is it okay?" He asks softly.

"Yes, Tyler" you smile through your blurring eyes, "I love it, but I feel like I can't take this." You lightly extend your arms holding the ukulele towards him.

He furrows his brows and pushes your arms back, "no" he says.

"But tyl-"

"(Y/n)." He cuts you off. "I want you to have it. Please. I wouldn't want it to be in the hands of anyone else."

You look back to the ukulele and trace your eyes along the warm wood one more time. You run a finger up one of the strings and ever so slightly pull, causing a tiny note to emit from the ukulele. You smile through the tears that now are coming from your eyes.

"I love you, Tyler Joseph." You speak into the ukulele.

"Not as much as I love you, (your full name)."