christmas

"This one!" You excitedly clap your hands together as you look up at the massive green tree.

"Y/n, isn't this a little too tall? Our family room only has 10 foot ceilings."

"Oh" your expression immediately changes from excited to disappointed.

"We could always get an artificial tree.." Tyler starts again, but you stop him.

"No no, I want a real tree. We've always had a real tree, it's family tradition. Plus, artificial trees are expensive." You state.

He chuckles lightly, "I don't think money is our biggest concern."

You roll your eyes and start down the long isle of trees again. The field is lightly covered in a layer of crunchy snow and each tree has a slight icy glaze that the sun reflects off of.

After a few more minutes, you stop in front of a shorter, but fuller tree.

"Isn't that a beauty" you hear Tyler remark under his breath and your smile grows larger.

"Now this is the one." You grin.

"You sure?" Tyler double checks and you nod excitedly.

"Alright" Tyler grins and swings the saw out so that it's at the ready. He ducks under the tree and starts to cut away at the trunk.

After about 5 minutes, the tree is cut enough to be snapped the rest of the way. You try your best to keep it supported, but it's getting too heavy for you.

"Ty, I think it's good" you say loud enough for him to hear.

You hear a muffled "okay" before Tyler slides out from under the tree and grabs hold of the trunk near your height.

Together, you bend the tree just enough and let it slowly fall to the ground. You smile down at it and you look up to see Tyler smiling too.

"I must say, you did look quite manly cutting this thing down" you smirk into Tyler's back since you're walking behind him.

You can hear him chuckle lightly and he turns to give you a cheesy smile. You both work together to drag it towards the parking lot where you can pay.

~

"I got the lights." You state, lugging a massive box up the basement stairs. It's your first year in your new house so most things are still packed away and neat.

"Great" you hear Tyler smirk as he takes the box from your arms and places it on the ground near the tree. He rips it open to reveal at least 6 strings of different colored lights.

"You going to give me a hand?" He asks, pulling one string from the box and unravelling it.

"Of course" you reply, "we're doing this thing together."

Tyler slides a ladder close to the tree and walks up two of the steps so that he's level with the top. He rests the first string around the branches in a downward spiral. You hand him the next string and he connects it to the first. As the tree starts to get fuller, you start a system where you pass the lights around the tree and pass them off as it reaches the other persons side. After about 10 minutes, the tree is fully wrapped in the lights.

You follow the last string to the end and extend it to the closest outlet. Just enough wire is left to reach and you get ready to plug it in.

"Ready?" You ask, glancing up at Tyler who's standing back and admiring the tree.

"Yep" he send you a thumbs up and you push the wire into the socket. You turn around to see the amazingly bright lights illuminating the room.

You stand up and walk to Tyler, both of your eyes are fixated on the tree. He reaches for your hand and entwines his fingers with yours. He brings your hand up in his and lightly kisses your knuckles. You watch him as he kisses your hand and then direct your attention to his eyes.

He looks back up into your eyes and smiles sweetly. "We make a nice team" he smirks.

You smile back and take a step back towards the pile of boxes on your living room floor. "And we've only just started decorating."