"She was 990 and I was 984, so I saw her a lot, I guess." Does my voice sound as guilty as I think it does?

Miranda narrows her eyes again, "I know that in the Complex, there are four girls to a room. She couldn't be your roommate. I also know that if someone is not your roommate, you don't know her at all.”

“We still saw each other…”

Miranda interrupts me. “Bridget said in these exact words, 'We shared our names in a quick moment, right before everything fell apart. Of course, I don't think I was supposed to remember anything about that.' Can you explain that?"

I glide carefully on the edge between lies and truth. The more truth, the better. "I don't remember it. Bridget said, 'I don't think I was supposed to remember anything about that,' right? Well, I don't remember anything about 'that.'"

Miranda leans back in her chair, "If you don't remember anything, how do you remember their names?"

"I knew Canton because Brinn and Dana had told me about him in the Complex."

"What about Bridget?"

I have myself stuck in a trap. How do I explain that I know Bridget's name? A little diversion would be helpful right now. I wish Christopher would barge in again.

"I don't know." I whisper.

Miranda frowns. I don't think she was expecting that answer. "What do you mean, you don't know?"

I have no idea what to say now. “I don't know how I know Bridget's name." It comes out more like a question than an answer. I bite my lip.

Miranda stands up and begins pacing. I keep my head pointed forwards, unable to judge her expression.

Miranda turns to face me, "Could you elaborate more on why you 'don't know'?"

I twist my mouth thinking, "I guess...I guess I just somehow knew her name." These are the lies that are going to make me look unable to trust when I tell them my true story. I am only getting myself farther away from a chance in the rebellious group of the Unknown.

Miranda sits back down, tapping her nails against the desk. "I don't have time for this. I know you're not loyal to the Heads. But, I also know that something still isn't adding up. We’re just going in circles. So, here's what I'm going to do. As you may have guessed, there is a rebellious group of people in the Unknown. I am going to invite you to one of these meetings in exchange for one thing. You answer one question of mine."

I am quiet. I pretend to be contemplating, but I have already made up my mind. The reason I am here is to get into one of these meetings.

Miranda takes my silence as indecision. "You won't be able to get into the meetings without my help. You wouldn't know the first place to look. This will be your only chance. All I need is a handshake and promised secrecy."

I pretend I'm still thinking about it. I don't want to seem too eager.

So, after a minute or so, I bargain my side of the deal, carefully, "I don't want to answer the question in front of everyone, just you and me. I'll answer after I see the meeting."

Miranda thinks about this. "You will answer during the meeting. That way, neither of us can trick each other. But, you won't have to answer in front of everybody."

I nod slowly. 

Miranda holds out her hand. I hesitantly shake it.

Miranda smiles, "I will send you a Notice on where to meet me, and I will lead you to the meeting place."

I ask, "When will I be?"

"Tomorrow night."

"How long?"

"It depends."

"How many people?"

"It depends."

"Does Dana know."

"No."

"Really? She's about as rebellious as they come."

"She never showed that to me. As far as I was aware, she was falsely accused for talking in the hallway,"

That must have been Dana’s story to protect Brinn.

"Can Dana join the group?" I ask.

"It depends."

I raise my eyebrows at her continuous answer.

"A lot of things can change quickly in the Unknown."

“That’s becoming more and more clear.

"I'll send a Notice to Charlotte to come pick you up."

I nod. And just like that, I am part of the rebellious Unknown group. Part one of the plan seems to be completed. But, it also seems that when it comes to Miranda, there is always a catch.