Miranda watches my face more than the child. She's seen this all before.

I hate the Heads more than I ever had in this moment.. How they could do this to kids? It's heartless. It's appalling. It's inhumane. How can they turn these kids into twitching, barely breathing shells? How can the Heads not feel guilty?

I feel dangerous right now. My emotions flare out of control. I could cry, scream, hit something, someone. If Ellen were here right now, I would hit her. And, I think I would even enjoy it.

I try to push the horrible thoughts out of my head. Is this what freedom does to me?

I close my eyes and force myself to take a deep breath, even though the reek makes my eyes water. I open my eyes and make myself focus. 

Miranda clears her throat, "Who are they?"

"I don't know.”

Miranda seems taken aback.

"I honestly don't recognize them." I say. 

Miranda begins pacing again. There’s only enough room for her to take five or six strides before she meets a wall. The small boy looks nervously at Miranda as she storms past him multiple times. 

Miranda faces me after multiple steps. "Let's try something. You may not recognize the girl, but she might recognize you."

I'm doubtful, but I follow Miranda's lead and step even closer to the cot. I'm close enough to see the dark bruises printed into the girl's skin. The traces of dried black Ecru blood streaking down her legs and arms. 

Miranda motions for me to come closer. I take a small fearful shuffle. I don't want to get any closer. It's too horrible to see in any more detail. I'm afraid I might lose control. A sick feeling swirls inside of my stomach, working its way up to my throat.

Miranda gives me a stern look and I shuffle even closer. I guess my head must have bobbed into the girls' vision because her eyelids flutter slightly and she turns her head towards me. 

It takes a few long seconds, but the recognition pops into the girl's eyes. Her mouth opens and closes. She swallows hard several times before she utters a few small horrible words, "This is your fault."

The sick feeling grows in my stomach. I look at Miranda and say, "I don't know who it is, I'm serious, I'm not lying, I really, honestly don't know who it is," My voice has taken on a slight note of hysteria. I'm trying to fight it, I really am, but it's so hard. It's even harder when I see the look on Miranda's face. She doesn't believe me for one second.

The girl continues a wide-eyed stare towards me, but she doesn't say anything more. Raspy breathes racking her chest as she takes them in. Miranda's eyes are narrowed deep in concentration, she continues her pacing. 

"How's the boy, Andy?" She asks the small boy.

Andy responds expertly, "He's still taking in oxygen by himself, but it's definitely labored. If he continues in this state much longer, we may need to put in an oxygen tube. He's on an IV line and his heartbeat is faster than normal, but not too dangerously fast. He has stirred slightly once or twice, but never open his eyes or shown any sign of consciousness."

As the boy walks Miranda over to the dials and switches on the wall, I walk towards the boy. Inky dried blood is caked to his yellowing skin. The vivid brown dots are speckled across his face. All the wires and tubes connected up to him make it even worse. It's like he's a machine, not a person. 

I turn back to face the girl, at least she looks alive.

Her eyes stare back at me, unsettling.