Chapter 37: Why We Broke Up

Selena's P.O.V.

Clay? What the hell does he have to do with any of this? He's all the way back in New York. This all couldn't possibly start with him. Unless, when I lost my memory, Justin called up Taylor and was probably so desperate to retrieve my memories that he called Clay up as well. Clay would definitely bring negative memories up, but they were still memories. I don't recall Clay ever coming by to see me, though. Then again, up until now, I could hardly remember anything.

"Clay? Did he put you up to this? I know that you two are close now, for whatever reason, but---"

She interrupts, "Selena, please. This involves the reason why Clay and I are close and how it relates to the accident."

My eyes squint with confusion at her. How could there be a relation between her and Clay and the accident? They were only here for the accident after it happened. At least, that's what I'm assuming. Not wanting to question her further, I wait for her to explain herself. If I start asking questions then I won't be able to stop myself. There are just so many mysteries behind Clay and Taylor's friendship.

***

Up from the bench, I spring up and pace in front of her. How can she possibly expect for me to wrap this around my head? She described her and Clay's relationship as a friendship but is that really something that it can be defined as? I mean, Clay has been blackmailing her all this time and that's the only reason behind all the time they are spending time together.

Finally, I stop in front of her and question, "I mean, you explained to me how it happened and I'm still shocked how this all happened."

"I know, I made a mistake," she sighs.

Sitting down next to her, I wrap my arm around her. Right now, all Taylor needs is a hug. Actually, she needs hours of hugs after all that she has been through. Everything she has put herself through is all out of the protection of Forrest. I know that Taylor is hesitant about revealing the truth to everyone, but she told it to me. That counts for something.

When I question her about telling the truth to everyone, she breaks from my arms. She scoots to the opposite end of the bench and holds her face in her hands. Taylor's lips are pouted as she shakes her head. Then she explains that Clay wanted her to tell the truth, but it's too much weight on her shoulders. It was easy to come out to me about the incident since I'm her best friend. She's just worried how everyone else will react to Clay.

Even after all Clay has put her through, Taylor is still protective over him. She's not worried how they are going to react to her, but to Clay. She's so concerned about his well-being. Maybe what they do have is more than a partnership. Could it actually classify as a friendship? All I hope is that Clay will treat Taylor with more respect should their relationship continue.

I offer, "Well, I can help you tell yours and Clay's story."

Her hands leave her face, and her eyes dart over to me. Her eyes pop with hope. She's elated by my offer. She questions, "Selena are you sure? I mean, Clay wanted me to be the one to explain to everyone what happened. But I mean, you're you and Clay admires you so much. I'm sure he wouldn't mind if you helped him out."

I correct, "I'm not helping Clay out, I'm helping you out."

She smiles and nods her head, "Fair enough."

Then I explain, "Well, there were four of us in that car. You told one of us, so that leaves Fitch, Aria, and Justin. Since that's an odd number that leaves an unfair number of people for each of us to tell. So I think there's someone else in the building that needs to know the little story you told me."