Making It Rain for Patrick

As the sun began to set, it became quite cold on the island as the breeze off the water became even colder. Freud's family huddled together in a large bunch as they found themselves in the shade. Long before the sun had set, Tegwen had already grown cold along with Pickett. While they protested, Newt wouldn't hear any of their arguing and sent them straight into the case to warm up. The last thing he needed was Tegwen and Pickett to get sick because while he could carry Pickett in the pocket of his jacket, he certainly didn't want Tegwen to get sick so early in the trip.

He was finishing up all of his work in the field journal as the case remained opened beside him. He heard Pickett and Tegwen earlier, mostly grumbling to themselves about being sent into the case. He listened with amusement until he heard several clinking sounds emit from the case.

"What in the world?"

It was followed by Pickett's clicking and Tegwen's giggling.

"Do I want to know what they are up to?" He questioned himself. He came to the conclusion that it was something silly and that he would just find out after he was finished. But as the minutes went on, the clinking sound became more frequent along with the clicking in giggling. 

"What is going on in there?" He called into the case.

There was silence for a few seconds. "Uh..nothing!" Tegwen's voice rang out. "We aren't doing anything."

Newt's expression became flat as Tegwen and Pickett were obviously up to something. Instead of finishing up the work, he figured he could just finish it later. He picked himself up and went to enter the case when he turned back to look in Freud's direction.

"Are you coming in for the night, Freud?" He asked the plant.  Freud moved his head in Newt's direction but did not move from his spot from the huddled group. Newt understood that Freud probably just wanted to spend as much time among the others of his kind before they were to leave. But he also had to wonder, now that Freud was in good health and standings, would he want to leave with the group or would he stay on the island.

He thought about bringing it up to Tegwen but he didn't want to make her upset with the idea that Freud would be possibly parting from the group early on in their ventures. 

"Well, I'll leave the case open just a smidge in case you get chilly during the night, I would invite all of you to come in but...uh...the others are quite picky about guests. I'm sure you all understand-"

"Newt, who are you talking to?" Tegwen's voice called out to him.

"No one!" He answered quickly, but he realized that it sounded so much worse as an answer. "I mean...never mind."

He turned back to Freud. "Goodnight."

Freud gave him a slight nod before huddling back to the group and becoming still. With a small smile on his face, Newt stepped into the case and proceeded down the steps, greeted by the warmth.

***

Tegwen and Pickett weren't exactly thrilled earlier about being sent into the case like a bunch of children, but the two managed to keep themselves in brighter spirits as they came upon Patrick who was moving about. Well, moving about in Tegwen's bag, in obvious search of something shiny.

"Looking for something?" Tegwen had called out to the niffler. Patrick became stiff before slowly lifting his head and upper body out of the woman's bag. He turned around to see Tegwen standing a few feet away with her arms crossed over her chest and Pickett sitting on her shoulder. The bowtruckle letting out a knowing click signaling Patrick that he was, indeed, busted.