Prologue

Tegwen Gittins had never been more thankful to step foot on land as the horrid rocking of being out at sea finally came to a stop. However, after enough time attempting to develop her sea legs, the woman was still rather wobbly as she stepped onto the gravel down the ramp. She managed to stumble back but was caught and held in place. With a tiny grin, she glanced up to see Newt looking down at her with an expectant look on his face. Apparently, he was anticipating her falling or tripping, it didn't take Dougal the Demiguise to foresee that. The man set her back to stand upright on her feet and the two began to walk away from the waterfront. Pickett shifted from Newt's pocket and let out several clicking noises that brought the adults to look down at him.

He seemed to realize that he was home as he made all sorts of excited noises looking up at Newt and then over to Tegwen.

"I think he knows he's home," Tegwen pointed out. "He seems awfully excited."

"I think he is just as excited as you are to get off that boat," Newt mused glancing over at her. "I lost count with how many times you fell."

Tegwen bit down on her lower lip for a moment before she took a deep breath. "Well, I don't have sea legs, that's for sure, but as I've said before, the ground and I have a very special relationship. We were apart for too long, so I had to settle for the deck."

"I'm sure you and the ground will be reunited sooner than you think," Newt said.

"Alright, there's no need to tease me about it, I know I'm a bit clumsy-"

"A bit?"

Tegwen's scrunched up her face at him as she turned to face him. "Excuse me, but I'm not that bad."

"That's still insinuating that you're bad," Newt pointed out.

"Yes well...oh never mind,' she grumbled with a pout.

"I personally don't think it's a bad thing," he continued on.

"You don't? But you said-"

"I didn't say it was bad, you said it was bad. I simply was pointing out that you are not a bit clumsy, but plenty. I never once said it was bad, that was all you, Twiggy."

"Oh."

"Now, do we want to continue debating this or would you like for me to take you home?" He asked as they came to a halt, a safe distance and out of view from any muggles.

"I do really need to get home," Tegwen said. "My fathers are probably worried sick, I was awfully vague in my last letter and I can't imagine what they heard from the Ministry and MACUSA."

"Fathers?" Newt picked up on the word and gave her a look. "Did I hear you correctly?"

Tegwen raised a brow. "Yes, I have two fathers, is there a problem?" The tone in her voice was challenging, daring Newt to have a problem with it. 

"N-no," he quickly shook his head. "I don't have a problem with it at all, I just..that is something new I learned about you...just now...after spending all that time with you..."

"Who did you think I was referring to when I said Tad and Dad in conversation?"

"I thought you had given your father a nickname," Newt shrugged innocently. Tegwen snorted and nodded her head. 

"Yes, because a nickname for my dad would be equal length, replacing one letter," she teased him. 

Newt's face turned a bright red and it wasn't from the cold winds blowing about as he rubbed his hands together.

"Alright, I suppose that all makes sense. I thought it was rather odd that your father had two professions as a full-time Quidditch referee and a full-time tea maker."