Passing Flowers - Part 2

Passing Flowers

Part 2

Eric was soon a familiar presence in their home. He filled a place left vacant by her husband, Stewart, so often away while training for the next bike race or next marathon. It was nice to have someone to help with Jared’s homework, to be patient and understanding through his meltdowns and difficulties. She hadn’t even realized how drained she’d been until she found herself humming again, her step lighter, her shoulders less heavy, no longer weighed down by the burden of raising her child virtually alone.  

“Dinner was amazing, Janelle, as usual.” Eric sat at their table, as he so often did these days.  “Do you always cook like this?”

Janelle laughed. “Well, I used to. It’s so much easier when Jared has someone to occupy him while I do.” She’d packed up Stewart’s high protein, carb free, grain free, pasture-fed, organic version of the meal for his lunch the next day. He’d likely have a protein shake at the gym tonight and skip dinner altogether. Rare were the days they had dinner together. “It’s also nice to be able to sit down with an adult,” she added, voicing her thoughts. “It’s so easy to give into quick and simple meals when it’s just the two of us.”

Eric’s expression changed from his inherent cheer to one of concern. She glanced away from his keen, dark eyes. Though she’d hired Eric to help with Jared, to have a chance to get out and run errands, to run, to take care of herself, she found herself at home more often than not, simply enjoying the fact that she was no longer alone with Jared.

She had an excuse at first, she wanted to make sure that Jared and Eric were compatible. It didn’t take long for her to see that Eric was a natural at dealing with Jared’s quirks. He was actually much better at calming Jared’s meltdowns and soothing his sensory issues. Janelle was often too worn down to catch the meltdowns in their early stages and would often snap at Jared rather evaluating the situation with a level head.

They were both healthier and happier with Eric around. She enjoyed the way he filled her home with his presence; how he smelled vaguely of antiseptic and spices, how his voice was calm and melodic.

The contrast to Stewart was stark. Where Stewart was compact and well muscled, short tempered and rushed, Eric was tall, almost lanky, measured and quiet in his movements. He was quick to laugh, where Stewart was quick to criticize. But most of all, Eric was there, with them, in their house almost every evening where Stewart was gone from morning till night, just a passing wind smelling of sport stick and sweat.

Janelle stayed up late that evening, waiting for Stewart to come home. The comparisons to Eric cast Stewart in a negative light and it was harder and harder to find what it was that had drawn her to him all those years ago.

“Hey babe,” he passed through their room, his hair still damp from the gym. “You’re up late, I take it you got Jared to bed early?”

“Yeah, Eric tired him out...”

Stewart hardly glanced at her as he made his way into his office, just off from their bedroom. “He seems to be working out well, glad you found him,” Stewart put in, and Janelle could hear his computer humming to life.

“Yeah, he’s great. I’ve been able to cook dinner most nights he’s here to help.” She pulled on her robe to stand at the doorway of his office. He didn’t glance up, only turned to click on his printer and thumb through his phone.

“I’ve noticed, those lunches have been great.”

“I was thinking, it’d be nice if you could join us for dinner one of these nights,” she tried.

Rummage Sale StoriesOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara