E I G H T

E I G H T

❝if you are broke         and they have left you                                  do not question                                       whether you were                                                                 enough                        ...

❝if you are broke
and they have left you
do not question
whether you were
enough
the problem was
you were so enough
they were not able to carry it❞
- Rupi Kaur;
Milk and Honey

Margo Frasier stood outside her bedroom, staring at the door of her parents room, her phone in her hand.

"Margo?" She hears, snapping her out of her trance.

"Coming," She calls and she makes her way downstairs, her school shoes tapping on the wooden crafted stairs, hands running along the banister railing.

She looks in the mirror when she reaches the bottom step. Her right hand lifts up slowly, pressing against the bruising around her eye. She winces in pain, her eyes brimming with tears.

She blinks them away as she walks into the kitchen cautiously.

"Margo sweetie," Her mother asks and Margo look up at her, bruised eye on show in the brightly lit kitchen.

"I know you hate your father, Margo, but he is the only thing keeping us alive, my business is failing," She says, holding a glass of water in her hand.

"Mom, honestly, its fine, its nothing, just a smack..." Margo says and her mother walks closer to her daughter.

"Time for school," She says and Margo nods.

Margo collects her leather backpack and bomber jacket and follows her mother out to her car. She climbs in the back seat and breathes deeply, attempting to cover the black eye with her hair.

"Are you okay?" Her mother asks with a worried look.

"I'm fine," Margo nods, smiling fakely.

Her mother sighs and pulls off, dropping her daughter off to school.

Margo climbs out of the car and heads for the school building, her hair falling down her back in smooth waves. She walks through the double door entrance and is met by the eyes of various other students. They all look at her questioningly, their eyes flickering over the girl, she served as a daily reminder that not all is bright and perfect.

Margo reaches her locker and empties some books into her bag. After a few moments of sorting through her things Summer arrives with a massive grin on her face.