~Chapter Twenty-Six~

Alex's (POV)
(Part Two)

"I was a spy for MI6."

There. I finally said it.

I let a breath out, my heart hammering in my ears.

I look over at everyone's faces, not the least bit surprised at what's showing on them.

Disbelief.

But it's not that they don't believe me. Because they all know.

I don't joke around.

No, they're in disbelief because they can't believe MI6 would have a teenager as a spy.

I watch as Mack's mouth drops open, his eyes as wide as they'll possibly go.

Polly's staring at me, an unreadable expression on her face.

Dons' mouth is slightly slack, his eyes wide in surprise.

I just let those couple words settle in the air.

I glance over at Lucy.

She looks like she finally found the missing piece of a puzzle, everything falling into place.

But that's because she basically has.

After what she saw at the appointment today, I'm sure a lot of things are making more since to her now.

My mind flashes back to when she comforted me earlier.

"I've got you, and I'm not letting you go."

"I promise."

Those words mean more to me than she probably thought.

Those words I needed to hear. They made me feel more....confident in myself.

Macks' mouth moves, trying to form something. "Wha-ho....huh?" He finally stumbles out.

Now what do I say?

I hadn't really thought about what to say afterwards.

"That's....impossible." I hear Don mumble as he looks down at his lap, eyebrows furrowed.

Lucy being the only one able to form any coherent words, speaks up. "Alex, maybe you should start from the....beginning?" Lucy quietly says, astonishment clear in her eyes.

Probably a good idea.

I take another deep breath, not really wanting to take a trip down memory lane.

"My name is Alexander John Rider."

What? She said to start at the beginning.

So that's what I'm going to do.

I see a small smirk grow on Mack's face at the mention of my full name.

He's never going to let me live that down.

"My parents are John Rider and Helen Rider." I feel that familiar ache in my chest at the mention of their names. "They died in a airplane 'accident' when I was three months old."

I frown at the word accident.

Because it wasn't

Don swings his gaze back up to me, and I see his eyes darken with sadness.