|Nïnëtëën|

Months of therapy seemed to be helping Alexander after the incident.

I had taken a 'permanent leave of absence' from school to take care of him. I picked up a few part time jobs around the neighborhood to pay rent for our flat. Alexander worked with kids at the local daycare a few days a week.

I hung up my apron in the back of the café and  dusted my jeans off a bit and shoved my wallet into my pocket. I walked around the counter and waved by to my manager who was serving a customer their coffee. "Later Eliza," I called, pushing the door open and starting off toward the apartment building.

As I unlocked the door, I heard faint singing. I swung open the door and shut it behind me, slipping my shoes off and kicking them onto a mat next to the door. I hung up my keys and followed the sound of the singing to the bathroom door. I sat down on the floor next to the door, listening to Alex sing and the sound of running water.

"John, I love you, but you know I can't carry you." Alex said tapping my leg with his foot. I jolted awake and checked my watch. 3:12

I smiled at Alex and stood up, stretching my legs out. "Yeah I didn't mean to fall asleep on the floor," I said sheepishly.

"Alright well I'm gonna go put oil in my hair," He said pointing behind him and towards his room, "You have a shift to get ready for, right?"

I nodded, "Sadly my workday doesn't end at five," I sighed and dragged myself into my room where I changed shirts and grabbed my nametag for the bookstore down the block. I shoved my shoes back on and the door, "I'm leaving!" I called to Alex, "I'll be home around 8!" I turned and walked out the door, locking it for Alex like I always did.

After my shift (that ended up lasting two extra hours) I unlocked the door and trudged inside, kicking off my shoes and hanging my keys up. "Alex! I'm home!" I called. I rubbed my eyes and made my way to my room where I stripped out of my work clothes and flopped into bed.

I would have fallen asleep instantly but my bedroom door opened slightly, the light from the hall seeping into the room. "Hi," Alex whispered from outside my room. "Uh, I know that you're really tired but I was wondering if-"

"Yes," I mumbled, I moved to the far side of my bed and Alex scrambled into my bed. He pulled the blanket up to his chin and sighed.

"I love you." He whispered.

"I know," I said turning to face him, "I love you too."

He grabbed my hand under the blanket and I squeezed his hand. I fell asleep almost instantly after that.