Chapter Thirty Eight - 'Harsh'

Start from the beginning

"What are you making?" Jett asked, standing behind the island counter as I continued to cook, needing to keep busy

"What did you want to talk about Jett?"

"I wanted to make sure you're okay, and I guess, talk about everything that you now know" He stumbled, folding his arms

"I'll be fine" I sighed "But I really don't want to talk about the rest"

"Everything that you know about Phoenix and I, is true, the only thing we denied you, was the truth in regards to our job titles and involvement of the underground fighting" He continued anyways

"What's your name?" I asked, turning to face him, my back leaned on the bench, arms over my chest

He just stared at me

"Is your name really Jett?" I repeated, watching him with narrow eyes

"My real name is Jettison O'Reilly"

"Jettison?" I raised an eyebrow

He refused a smile as it tempted to move through "Jett"

"Are you going to tell Grace about everything that has happened?"

He nodded "Yes"

"And you still plan on asking her?"

Again, he nodded "I have hopes that she will forgive me for everything that has happened and agree to start a new chapter full of trust and honesty"

"Do you think it'll be that easy?"

"It doesn't have to be difficult. We can chose to make it that easy. At one point or another, we all decide to tell lies, the reason might be intentionally to deceive someone, or they could be to protect them or prevent them from having bad happen in their lives" He attempted to justify his behavior

"Is that was this was? An attempt to keep the bad from happening? Because if I remember correctly, a hell of a lot of bad has happened to me because you and Phoenix came into my life. If you had of kept to your side of the street, literally everything would be perfect"

"Do you believe Jaston wouldn't have committed a crime against you had Phoenix not intervened on the street?"

"You and Phoenix came into my life well before Jaston came into it" I snapped

"But that would never have amounted to anything, until Jaston became involved Eden"

I turned and proceeded to tip my mixture into the pan, feeling the hunger combine with my already rising temper.

"Tell me, would you have changed anything had you of known we were police officers? Would you have gone about anything differently had you of known who we really were?"

"That isn't the point Jett, the point is, any one of you could have told me the truth, and no, I may not have changed any of it had I known, but I wouldn't have felt nearly as betrayed or used as I do now"

"You and I both know that you were not used in any way as bait or leverage. Everything we did, was to protect you, to keep you out of harms way"

"That fight with Gonzales wasn't to save me, it was to have him arrested!" My voice rose

"I tried so hard to find an alternative because I knew the only reason Phoenix wanted to take that fight was for you and his sister Eden. The minute our boss caught wind of what Phoenix had planned, he threw his team into it, we had no choice but to set it up alongside the unit"

"So I'm supposed to believe that Phoenix was going to go against his boss and job to have that fight for his sister and I alone?"

He sighed "No, you aren't supposed to believe it, you should know in yourself whether it's the truth or not. Look, I didn't come to argue. I'm here to make sure you're okay, and I wanted you to know where I stand with you, and Gracelin. In the end, it's your decision whether you want to remain part of our lives or not" He began moving to the front door as I pulled the cooked pancake from the pan, slopping it onto a plate.