6 / dawns and lilies

a xiuly fantasy one-shot.

highly inspired by the drama: goblin.

  —  

happy 18th, lily. 

  —  

28 December, 2016

How do you explain this strange feeling of longing for a person you've never met before?

Braunstone was a quiet town, nothing ever happened. The jolly season was arriving, however, and that explained the bustling along usually quaint streets. Coral blue Christmas decorations hung from the low rooftops of shop-houses, covered by thick blankets of drifted new snow that fell gently on that Wednesday afternoon. 

Along a particular street stood a tiny cafe that most people wouldn't spare a second glance at. Nestled in between shops that sold high-end clothes, its appearance was comparably toned down despite the warm ambiance it promised. Still, the chiming of bells at the entrance was more frequent than you'd think it'd be, and that fact alone spurred the cafe's humble business on.

It was half past 2 in the afternoon when the silver bars of bells clinked against each other rather loudly, followed by light steps on the tiffany blue cement tiles. A girl, no more than the age of 20, busied herself with exhaling into her gloves-covered palms while shifting her weight from foot to foot. Tip of nose with a tinge of redness to it, she resembled the passers-by making haste along the streets.

Lily. Her name was Lily, the flowers that symbolize purity and innocence. Being a skeptical girl, Lily knew better than to indulge in these beliefs for she wouldn't classify herself under the idea of purity.

There was, however, a meaning that was etched somewhere at the back of her mind.

As the flowers most often associated with funerals, lilies symbolize that the soul of the departed has received restored innocence after death.  

It honestly made her wonder if she was a grim reaper in her previous life. Or someone related to the grim reaper. That lily symbol birthmark on her wrist probably had something to do with it too, but Lily brushed that thought away as quickly as it surfaced. Her family would either tell her it's straight up nonsense, or a notion caused by watching too many fantasy movies.

But in all honesty, a part of her still wished, like a child during Christmas, that magic and sorcery were true. That a prince charming would come by on her 18th birthday to plan a runaway with her to the blooming dandelions and warm sand beaches. 

Stop dreaming, Lily. She had to chide herself.

Swiftly placing her regular order, the girl had her hands clasped in front of her and stared idly into space as the baristas prepared her beverage. A tiny commotion came to her left where a small family of 4 had their attention trained on the scene outside of the frosted glass windows.

A flurry of falling melted snow littered the walkways, earning squeals of excitement from the children who had their noses pressed against the glass. Lily stared in fascination, gaze focused on the sleet as her lips parted ever so slightly. Snow itself was already pretty enough, but this mixture of snow and rain tugged at the corner of her lips as her eyes followed the raindrops that froze on their descent.