Chapter Forty

It was odd but Meredith missed Harry as soon as they parted ways. He dropped her off at the airport, Bodyguard Bill accompanying. She met with her friends there; both waited for details but Meredith wanted to get back to Dalkeith Palace before giving anything away. She kept a watchful eye on her surroundings, waiting to see if anyone was following. As soon as they were on the airplane, Rachel and Chloe couldn't wait any longer; Meredith could. She fell asleep immediately.

She awoke when the plane landed. "Late night last night?" Chloe asked. Meredith groaned and curled into the seat again.

Meredith kept silent on the bus ride home. Though it felt like forever, it was a regular pattern. It was Bus 100 until dropped off at South Bridge. Then it was the walk onto Princes Street, where the girls caught the bus. Meredith knew the pattern well. She stayed silent there too. She needed sleep. Traveling took a lot out of her.

The walk from the bus stop to Dalkeith Palace was grueling, but she managed. It was nothing compared to lugging her things up the stairs to her second floor (third floor) room. Veronica and Sofia, thankfully, were not inside. Meredith collapsed on the bed. Hunger struck her, but she ignored it. Sleep still seemed like the best cure.

Snuggling into bed, Meredith's eyes closed and she wasn't sure what time they opened. Someone was banging on the door. Groaning, she rolled out of bed and onto the floor. She still wasn't close enough to the door to answer it. Meredith army-crawled to the door, and thankfully was tall enough to turn the door handle. Rachel and Chloe stood on the other side.

"Let's talk about last night," Chloe said.

"No." Meredith closed the door in their faces. Since she was too tired to move, Meredith slept on the floor.

At some point Meredith woke up again, finding herself incredibly hungry. Pulling herself up, Meredith gathered her purse and jacket before heading out. Franco's was easy and quick, and that was what Meredith got.

Returning to Dalkeith Palace, it arose, and then there was someone waiting outside. Meredith was too tired to even try to think. Somehow the small plane ride from London to Edinburgh, and then the bus ride took everything out of her. Upon getting closer, it was Jack, like he waited outside for her to return.

"What?" she asked.

Jack stepped into her path, blocking her from the door. "I was waiting for you."

"Yeah, I thought so." Meredith tried to step around him, but he continued to try to block her path. Bringing herself to full height, Meredith wasn't a short girl and challenged his height with ease. She didn't have a small frame either, whereas Jack was skinnier than a twig; she would snap him if need be. "Can I help you with something, like moving?" Meredith would have to put down her food for a moment, but she thought she could pick him up and move him. How heavy could he really be?

"We could've been friends," Jack said in a threatening tone.

"Never trust a Campbell," she recited. "What's your problem anyway, Jack?"

"You're my problem."

"Okay. Why?" Meredith wished she was scared, because then she could show some emotion. But with every word Jack stated, the more she geared up for a fight. She wasn't a physical person, but something pumped through her veins. It was strong and edgy; it was blinding white rage. "What's your problem with me, Jack?"

He stared at her. Something blazed in his eyes. Pure hatred it looked like. His breath was too even to be angry, though, causing some confusion in Meredith. Jack had been calm and chill; this was out of character for who Meredith knew, or thought she knew. Meredith hadn't spent much time with him; she felt creeped out with him.