Chapter Fourteen

Meredith hadn't texted Harry, and he hadn't texted her. She was supposed to say something, right? She was supposed to say something first, right? Meredith wasn't so sure. It wasn't his fault that this happened. This was his life. And she wasn't really sure if she wanted that. Once again, the cameras she didn't mind, somewhat. She hadn't really been paying attention to them. She was solely focused on watching her own feet and not tripping. There was something different.

"Mer," Rachel called with a cup of coffee. Meredith glanced up at her friends after staring at the blank screen of the essay she was supposed to be writing. She just didn't care about archaeology. "Chloe and I are going to Holyrood Palace if you want to come."

Did Meredith really want to go? No, she didn't feel like going there. Did she want to do her homework? That was definitely a no. "Yeah. Let me change."

Running up to her room, Meredith strapped on her red rain boots and black rain jacket. It was expected to rain again in Edinburgh. It wasn't an original idea for Scotland, but it had been incredibly rainy for the past couple of days. Without any thought she would be noticed today, she specifically didn't put on any makeup or change her hair. Rachel and Chloe waited in the front centre, and they left.

The drive into Edinburgh was long enough, even on the number 3 bus, which was the fastest. Meredith learned quickly that number 33 and number 49 buses would get her to Dalkeith and into Edinburgh, but those took way too long. It was just faster to wait for the number 3. Numbers 33 and 49 buses would've taken you past the Royal Infirmary, which was place she didn't want to visit.

Walking down the Royal Mile instead of up, Holyrood Palace rested at the bottom. Across the road was Scottish Parliament. Holyrood Palace looked like an amusement park from the outside with the visitor's centre and gift shoppe rising. It wanted to attract people, but it looked like a vomit of color only to attract tourists.

Even with the student IDs, it still cost too much to be in Holyrood Palace. Walking through the large, black gates, the three girls entered a massive courtyard. A massive fountain rose up with a small patch of glass rounding it. Behind it, the palace arose. Rachel stood there in awe while Chloe took a mental sketch to draw it later. Meredith looked at the massive building and thought why. Her fondness for the palace didn't grow as a worker at the palace came running toward a tourist, yelling, "Get off the grass!"

Meredith rolled her eyes, and they headed toward the structure.

Rachel squealed to herself upon entering. Chloe had no problem with the history. Meredith took everything in. There were multiple signs saying you couldn't take pictures of anything. She had just pain how much to get in and you couldn't take a picture of anything. Staff workers watched every room like a hawk, but they could've been better. Out of spite, Meredith quickly took out of her cell phone, turned off the sound and snapped a picture. She slipped in back into her pocket before anyone noticed.

The girls moved into the next room, because they couldn't go back. You were shuffled from room to room. "Really?" Rachel asked, motioning to Meredith taking photos. "I think you might have authority problems, Mer."

"I have no idea what you're talking about." Meredith moved into the next room. She took a picture in every room.

There were fancy portraits of past royals and political figures in one, long, red-carpeted room. Most time was spent there and in the room with all the old outfits of Queen Elizabeth II. Rachel marveled at the beautiful gowns. Chloe looked at the little details. Meredith wondered how much those things costed.

A large portrait of the Queen looking like a badass in the Highlands hung on the wall. Meredith slowly walked over. This was the only interest she truly found in the whole of Holyrood. There wasn't much here that could be provided to her, nor that she cared about. But the Queen... Meredith couldn't help but stared at her. She looked like an oncoming storm. She was grace and beauty and power.