Chapter Thirty-Five

After leading Meredith down the street a slight bit, Harry took a hard left and gripped her hand as they went down to the Tube. People weren't packed on, but the people on the train were ready to go for a night on the town. Bodyguard Bill followed behind. Harry kept his eyes trained on the ground as Meredith stared forward; no one noticed her. Bodyguard Bill watched all.

Slipping off the Tube, Meredith didn't immediately recognize where she was, but Harry did. Leading her by the hand, the couple walked down the sidewalk. What lied up ahead made Harry slow, apparently not realizing how gravid the situation was. Looking both ways, Bill was the one who marched the couple across the street. Harry kept his head down. Meredith couldn't help but stare.

There were protesters among protesters, all of them chanted different things. Some even took to the street. Cars honked at them to move; the protesters didn't move. Dark, metal gates were there. The protesters yelled into them when they weren't yelling at each other. Signs were held, but Meredith didn't care about reading them. Her eyes only rested on the people.

Another reason for Harry to hide his face was the camera crews that were there. Harry changed position to be on the other side of Meredith. Bill tried to block them both without looking suspicious. Meredith wanted to watch more. The cameras were more focused on the protesters above whatever was behind the gates.

Meredith tried to get a glimpse, but it just looked like townhouses to her. They were nice townhouses, but it was just townhouses to her. Yet people screamed at it. British police officers, some heavily armed, patrolled the area.  Some stood behind the gates while others patrolled the streets. Meredith wanted to know the difference.

Harry pulled on her hand, and Meredith followed. Away from the yelling, she would be able to ask. Soon enough, they were far enough away and Bill relaxed only slightly.

"What was that about?" Meredith asked Harry.

"Brexit," he said. "I didn't think they would be out tonight, Bill?"

"I wasn't aware, sir."

Meredith had at least one more question. "What was that? Why outside those townhouses?"

"It was really just one townhouse. That's 10 Downing Street."

She stopped. "That's where the Prime Minister lives?"

"Yes."

"And we just walked past it?"

"You realize there were protesters, right?"

Meredith's eyes narrowed on him. "You must be so used to things like that, but I'm not. That's kind of a big deal, Harry. It's where the person who runs the country lives."

"I don't think he'll be the leader for much longer, ma'am," Bill said.

Confusion crossed her face. "He can't just step down, can he?"

"Technically yes," Harry said, "he can. We don't have your system. People don't elect the leader that closely. We elect by party group, and whoever has the most seats gets to be leader." He over simplified it for her. "So when he steps down, another Torrie will take his place."

"Torrie?"

"Conservative," Harry clarified. "Another conservative will take his place, and then when elections roll around again,  it'll be up in the air."

"But they can't un-Brexit," Meredith you. "You guys held a referendum. You're going to go through with it."

Harry nodded. "Same way, whoever you elect for president will be President of the United States of America."