[t h r e e]

"I didn't wander off," charlie stated for the fifth time this hour. her cheeks flamed red, she honestly couldn't be anymore embarrassed. her arms were latched around poseidon's neck, because he insisted that her legs must've been "so" tired that she would soon suffer from painful foot cramps. "i was hungry, i needed food."

poseidon clicked his tongue, rolling his vibrant green eyes as he treaded through the water skillfully. "maybe if you weren't so angry with me about being who i am, I could've brought you food."

"what possibly could you bring me?"

"i dunno," he shrugged. "a mcdonalds happy meal?"

"im vegetarian." she deadpanned.

poseidon chuckled, remembering the fish swimming away with the bleeding side. he figured charlie would give in to the fish, although it could not speak nor give any sign of begging for mercy. one thing he did find out (from one of his many servants) that charlies mom was a veterinarian.

ever since charlie witnessed her dad and brother eating a seagull she nursed to health, she began to despise all meat and anyone eating it.

"a vegan happy meal?" he suggested playfully. "i know you think I'm dangerous and that i belittle you as a mortal, but I don't. i find interest in you, charlotte."

"my name is charlie." she snapped. poseidon rolled his eyes, not getting why the girl wanted to be called a boys name.

truthfully, charlie thought about what he had said. it couldn't have been true, though. all the stories she had heard about the gods and the way they treat the men or women they fall in love with. the humans always fall for the gods charms, and always end up getting knocked up.

as poseidon began to reach the large rock, he sat charlie down on the edge. his green eyes bored into charlie's hazel ones. the sun reflected in her eyes, making them golden rings.

he looked away, flashing his eyes to the crystal water. his hand dipped inside, swirling the water around into a mini whirlpool. he pulled his hand back out, this time, holding a large, green trident. tiny barnacles clung to it, and it glowed with a green light.

charlie stared at it in awe, her mouth open.

"close your mouth," poseidon smirked, "or you'll catch flies."

she closed her mouth, glaring at him. "theres no flies out here." she grumbled. "better you be on your way again, i suppose."

"nonsense. why do you think i summoned my trident?" he remarked. "I'm taking you to olympus. at least until i can find a way for you to come to my kingdom."

charlie tilted her head, watching as he climbed on to the rock and stood, waiting for her to meet his side. she did, eventually.

"i cannot be seen by the gods. they will possibly destroy me." charlie hissed.

poseidon didn't answer to her ridiculous assumption. he had already talked to his brother, sisters, and nieces and nephews about the girl who almost died. of course, it was possibly wrong to rescue just one being and not the others. but he had explained to aphrodite, the goddess of love, how he felt towards the girl.

she held a certain beauty, and a certain strength. everything charlie had within her, poseidon accidentally fell in love with. after he had promised himself he wouldn't break his own heart again by loving a human whom he wasn't allowed to love, he still happened to find charlotte. why was he so captivated by her?