Chapter 15

Chiharu and Naruto sat together on their small bed, looking around their apartment. It had only been a week or so, but it had felt like an entire odyssey of years and pain. The fact that there had been other tailed beasts like them had disturbed them somewhat, but they knew it was going to be a great advantage to earn against Ayako. Kakashi had explained their plan to the whole group; he would let them rest for a day or two, then they would go to the Village of the Sand in search of the first Tailed Beast, a boy named Gaara. Meanwhile, the Third Hokage began to organize and train an army.
     "This is crazy, huh?" Naruto said out of the silence. "We were normal just a few days ago."
     "Normal? We were hated by the village by something we couldn't control." Chiharu said, calmly. Naruto was glad that his twin had not stayed the furious, out of control creature she was during the confrontation with Ayako. "If anything, this is a chance to prove ourselves."
     "We're just twelve..."
     "And if we get that damned fox to obey, we'll be more powerful than almost anyone in this entire village."
     Naruto considered her words. "That is true, but I couldn't even dream up how to make peace with Kurama. He hates me."
     "Do you hate him?"
     Naruto paused before answering her. "Yes. He's the reason that we've been shunned by the village. If he were dead, we could be normal, without anyone to hate us."
     Chiharu shook her head. "That's not what I meant. Do you hate the fox, or do you hate what the villagers did to you because of the fox?" She looked out the window to the setting sun, which shot beams of soft yellow light into the small room. Golden hour, it was called. The moment when the sun struggled to keep its dominance in the sky before night came and crushed it. "When Ayako began cutting me, it wasn't just me feeling bad for myself."
     "You think that Kurama would sympathize you? He laughed at our pain and worked with Ayako."
     Chiharu shrugged. "He doesn't make sense, that animal. Despite living with him my entire life, he's so confusing."
    "Are you starting to... get used to him? Maybe even like him?"
    "No, no. Don't get me wrong, I still don't think he's a good guy."
     The door to their apartment opened, and Kakashi walked in. "Be ready by tomorrow." He said. "I came here to tell you that there's a change of plans."
     "What? Why did we change?" Chiharu asked.
     "Sasuke's gone missing."
     "What? Without a trace?" Naruto said, in disbelief. "Why would he do that?"
     "This girl, Sakura Haruno, seemed to say something before he left. He knocked her out when she tried to stop him."
     "But why?"
     Kakashi shrugged and sighed. "Something about a mark on his neck. Whatever that means, though, is that I've got more work to do."
      "We're still leaving though, right?" Chiharu said. "We can't forget about Ayako."
      "Of course not." He said. "Anyways, get some sleep. The Third Hokage just told me to tell you. Tomorrow's going to be a stressful, long day, do be quite prepared."
     As Kakashi left, he brought on a long silence. Naruto knew what it was, the curse mark from Orochimaru. What a great time. He thought bitterly. Right before a big mission. The sun had already fully set outside their window. Naruto and Chiharu curled into their blankets, unsuccessfully trying to sleep.
     With her head tucked in, Chiharu thought for a while. "You know," she muttered quietly, staring at the silvery light that brightly danced across her face, gloating in its triumph over the sunlight. "maybe the moon just wants to be in the sky, as well."